Small batch questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoestealer17

Reaction score
If I'm trying to make a gallon of cider would I just use 1/5 pack of yeast and 1/5 the priming sugar (1oz) of a 5 gal batch? Most the recipes I've seen are for 5 gal batches and I'm not trying to make that much yet.

I've made 1 gallon batches of EdWort's Apfelwein -- I reduced the dextrose by 1/5 but used the whole packet of yeast and that worked fine and tasted great.

How long will a pack of dry yeast last after being opened?

I've never had dry yeast go "dead". Keep it dry, and cool (refrigerator). A few days before you want to start your next batch make up a starter, and put the yeast you want to use in it. Give it a shake every time you walk by it. If it hasn't started working when you want to do your batch, consider it dead and buy a new packet.

Alright, sounds good.
Also, do most people use Apple Cider or Apple Juice to make hard cider? Or does it matter much?

All that matters is any additives. (Cider and juice are fuzzy distinctions that I don't understand, being from a country where cider is always hard).

You don't want any perservatives other than vitamin C (ascorbic acid). Anything else will prevent the yeast from repoducing.

In the states, cider is generally considered to be unfiltered apple-squeezings while juice is generally considered to be filtered apple-squeezings.

Does it matter? Not to me...

bill

Back