Harvesting Yeast from "bad batch" of beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salad 419

Reaction score
SO, I have a batch of beer that didn't turn out too good. It was the first one I made in 8+ years and I forgot a few important details. It used Wyeast 1084 which I tend to use quite a bit. Would it be worth trying to save some of my investment of the batch by making a starter with a bottle of this crap? Will the little yeasties be tainted in some way by the nasty brew?

What important details did you forget? If you messed up the hop additions, then you're probably still ok with reusing the yeast, but if you somehow infected the brew, then I agree with TheJadedDog.

Well, the biggest problems were too small of a boil pot and I transferred BOILING wort into another pot. MMMMM, wet cardboard. The next big issue was that it got up to 86*F in primary fermentation.

So, I guess it's not the worst homebrew I've tasted, but I have to be ripped before I'll drink one of these. Since that doesn't happen very often, this batch will probably be around for awhile. It's been over 6 months and the taste isn't getting any better.

I don't think the oxidation would matter as much as the hot fermentation. You probably bottlenecked the selection on the yeast, I would pass. Sounds like a good reason to start making slants:)

Latest posts

Back