Serious Brewing Browny points!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Do some luandry with the chiller water.
1 scoop of oxyclean a few dunks and changes of water and it's done.

Hang out the stuff in the washer as well and it's happy days all round.

I just hook up my outlet hose to the sprinkler and water the lawn/garden. I waste nothing. It's easier to justify using the IC in the hot summertime when your lawn is dying because there's been no rain in a month.

Rain fills water butts. Water butts fill pond. I pump pond water to water the garden. Rain fills water butts again. When I get my set up in the garage, wort chiller will fill pond too.

I hate waste too! Good tip Orfy! :D

I usually water the plants from the outflow of the chiller. Either that or use it as I am cleaning mash tun, carboy, etc.

I just hook up my outlet hose to the sprinkler and water the lawn/garden. I waste nothing.

I did that one time this summer and I got a written warning because I was not watering my lawn on the designated day during the summer when my town sometimes has "water sprinkling policies". Basically if your address is an even number, you can water on even days and vice versa.

I tried explaining to the guy that I'm brewing and I'd just have to dump it down the drain then and would be wasting water which is kind of the whole purpose of the water policy. He told me he was just doing his job. It was kind of weird though that he was doing his job on a Saturday afternoon driving around with his wife in his town issued work truck.

I went online later that night to the town's website because I hadn't seen any signs posted and found out the Sprinkler Policy went into effect 5 PM the day before. It hadn't even been 24 hrs yet! So to this day, because of that moron, I waste water if its an odd numbered day because this code monkey will come back and hand me a $100 dollar fine for a second time offense and a $200 fine and a termination of water services for a third offense.

I did that one time this summer and I got a written warning because I was not watering my lawn on the designated day during the summer when my town sometimes has "water sprinkling policies". Basically if your address is an even number, you can water on even days and vice versa.

I tried explaining to the guy that I'm brewing and I'd just have to dump it down the drain then and would be wasting water which is kind of the whole purpose of the water policy. He told me he was just doing his job. It was kind of weird though that he was doing his job on a Saturday afternoon driving around with his wife in his town issued work truck.

I went online later that night to the town's website because I hadn't seen any signs posted and found out the Sprinkler Policy went into effect 5 PM the day before. It hadn't even been 24 hrs yet! So to this day, because of that moron, I waste water if its an odd numbered day because this code monkey will come back and hand me a $100 dollar fine for a second time offense and a $200 fine and a termination of water services for a third offense.

So now you can only brew on even days.

I think if you really don't want to waste water you need to really commit and brew continually, just use the water from your chiller in your next batch, the rest of the water can then be used to water hops and barley ;)

Why don't you write to them.
When they reply with a foolish answer then send it to the local paper and show them how ungreen they are.

That's a good idea. I planned on doing something about it and I really wish I followed through with it. I ended up finding out that this guys boss was his own father so I really didn't think I'd get far with him (small town politics). It's been a couple months since the incident and the sprinkler policy has been lifted so its not so much of an issue now. Because I didn't do anything about it this year and regret it, you can be certain I'm not going to take this codemonkey's crap next year.

What morons. To keep you from wasting water, you have to waste water...

I felt guilty about sticking the return hose down the drain so I ended up filling up buckets and watering cans to take care of all the plants we have in and around the house.

Or DWWO, just use a bucket to throw the used water on the lawn. Or save it in a trash barrel for the even days.

Back