possible infection? diagnosis please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jameswardpeterson

Reaction score
So everything I have done up to this point is pretty stupid and probably my fault, but bare with me, I'm just hoping to save the batch at least. so I have 3 gallons of cider plus 2# of confectioners sugar (I know, stupid) that have been sitting in a NOT airtight fermenter for about 2 weeks now. take note that i never added campden, and the cider was pasteurized when i bought it. now after 2 weeks this has appeared on top of the cider.

IMG_03252.JPG

It has a smell that seems to have somewhat of a bite to it, but it also smells almost sickly sweet. so is this bad or is this just a natural ferment going through the motions? any help is greatly appreciated.

Ummm, that don't look right to me....

Ale Pails aren't that much money. Better Bottles are, well, better. I suggest investing in one and throwing in a stopper and an airlock.

I don't think nature intended us to do spontaneous fermentation indoors in cardboard boxes. I may be wrong though.

Now you may want to just experiment and let that batch in the picture do its thing, just to see what the outcome may be. Pasteurized juice isn't a problem, it's additives like Potassium Sorbate that are, so only buy 100% juice with no preservatives other than ascorbic acid.

No offense, but did you just leave that container wide open like pictured? I would have at least suggested placing a loose top on it.

Good Luck with the next batch! Don't let this one get you down.

Definitely look like mold sites to me. You could try to skim them until fermentation produces enough alcohol and lowers the pH enough to prevent them, but it will most likely get a musty flavor (kind of like a damp basement) that you won't get rid of. I personally would dump it if they are indeed fuzzy mold sites. I rarely say that. ma2brew offers sound advice.

I don't think nature intended us to do spontaneous fermentation indoors in cardboard boxes. I may be wrong though.
Bless Mother Nature and may she do whatever she wishes for providing us with yeast.

Yeah, that doesn't look so good. Fermenting in an open container after active fermentation has passed isn't very safe, I don't think. This one might be a sacrifice.

Ok, Thanks guys, I guess i just gotta cut losses and start a new recipe here. I just recently found a 3 gallon carboy in my moms house so i was planning on using that for the next batch anyways. I just gotta make sure I get the yeast on time with this one.....

fyi it did have a cover, i took it off for sake of the picture.

Ok, Thanks guys, I guess i just gotta cut losses and start a new recipe here. I just recently found a 3 gallon carboy in my moms house so i was planning on using that for the next batch anyways. I just gotta make sure I get the yeast on time with this one.....

fyi it did have a cover, i took it off for sake of the picture.

Just make sure that the vessel is sanitized well and anything that comes in contact with the Cider. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(. I wouldn't let this experience cause doubt though, it is indeed more rare to have an infected batch than many folks think. You want that fermentation to start fast, that is the key.

You want that fermentation to start fast, that is the key.

That's what I figured could have easily prevented this in the first place. Hopefully im getting the yeast tomorrow, so that ill know for sure that i will have it even before i start. I think im gonna go with the panty dropper cider recipe for this one. Thanks again for the help.

Am I understanding correctly that you fermented it with the lid off?? That's a recipe for disaster every time. And I agree with everybody else, throw it out.

Back