American Pale Ale Cascades / Orange Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I replaced all the lines in my kegerator and threw this beer in. Wow
It's so much better than my first attempt!
It seems the cheaper/easier method of dried storebought sweet peels was the ticket.
It's only basement temp and hasn't cleared up yet, but it's still delicious! (all beers I make clear up A TON after 4-5 days in the kegerator.)
Please excuse the mess

ForumRunner_20131130_134311.png

ForumRunner_20131130_134321.png

Okay im too lazy to read 18 pages or search for the answer on this one.

The tasting notes on page one say a light orange flavor. How much more dried orange peel would I want to add for a slightly more pronounced note?
Considering my lhbs wants 1.99 an ounce for the dried orange peel I need to watch it.

Also maris otter is about $.80 a pound more so is regular pale two row acceptable.
I thought also about adding perhaps some honey malt or something else.

Someone give me some advice?

I have added an extra ounce and it gave it much more flavor, more to my liking.

What about boiling it longer? I think the recipe calls for a 10 or 15 minute boil, if we put it in at say 30 minutes, will it extract more? I remember a northern brewer Belgian wit that had me add it at 60 and it was very flavorful. The ahs Belgian wit has it at 15 minutes and has much less Orange flavor. Just a thought.

I wouldn't know what to sub for MO, but do they offer a lower price on 10+ pounds? I think you will lose some malfunctioning flavor and biscuit flavor without it.

I have added an extra ounce and it gave it much more flavor, more to my liking.

What about boiling it longer? I think the recipe calls for a 10 or 15 minute boil, if we put it in at say 30 minutes, will it extract more? I remember a northern brewer Belgian wit that had me add it at 60 and it was very flavorful. The ahs Belgian wit has it at 15 minutes and has much less Orange flavor. Just a thought.

I wouldn't know what to sub for MO, but do they offer a lower price on 10+ pounds? I think you will lose some malfunctioning flavor and biscuit flavor without it.

I think that 3 ounces with 1 ounce being a longer boil might be worth trying. I typically use say 5 lb 2 row pale and 4 lb MO for beers. It give the extra maltiness but without the cost. I got a new barley crusher mill for a christmas present and am excited about bulk grain orders.

Okay im too lazy to read 18 pages or search for the answer on this one.

The tasting notes on page one say a light orange flavor. How much more dried orange peel would I want to add for a slightly more pronounced note?
Considering my lhbs wants 1.99 an ounce for the dried orange peel I need to watch it.

Also maris otter is about $.80 a pound more so is regular pale two row acceptable.
I thought also about adding perhaps some honey malt or something else.

Someone give me some advice?

If your trying to save a few bucks, start peeling the oranges you eat with a knife and air dry or bake them at 225 degrees for 25 minutes, or put in fresh.

Since orange coriander is one of my signature beers I peel my oranges and save the skins. Its easy takes only 3 minutes once you get the hang of it. You also have more control on whether you want sweet or bitter or both.

It might seem like a waste to some people, but saving 1.99 in a 3 minute time period is the equivalent of $39.80 cents per hour ! food for thought!!!

started to mill grain to brew this recipe this evening and realized i somehow only have 1/2lb of crystal 10. I have everything else. I also have 2lbs of crystal 60. Any recommendations on using some of that 60?

started to mill grain to brew this recipe this evening and realized i somehow only have 1/2lb of crystal 10. I have everything else. I also have 2lbs of crystal 60. Any recommendations on using some of that 60?

Not sure exactly, but .25 Vienna and maybe .25 of the 60? Won't be nearly the same, but I do like more Vienna in my ipas and apa.

Yes, so up the Vienna .25 and add .25 of the 60 so you do not get too much additional sweetness and color of a full 1/2 lb of 60

i dont have extra vienna sorry... just the 1lb it calls for.

short on recipe by 1/2lb of crystal 10

extras i do have available:
1lb maris otter
2lbs crystal 60

i dont have extra vienna sorry... just the 1lb it calls for.

short on recipe by 1/2lb of crystal 10

extras i do have available:
1lb maris otter
2lbs crystal 60

Maybe .375 lb of 60 and .125 lb of MO? I'm just throwing something out there though. Either way you slice it the beer will come out well :)

Maybe .375 lb of 60 and .125 lb of MO? I'm just throwing something out there though. Either way you slice it the beer will come out well :)

ha thanks man im not sweating it. played with it in beersmith and we shall see.

mid mash right now. just crushed the coriander and zested the oranges. super excited about this recipe.

I have been through a bunch of the pages, is there a final recipe or is the one on the first page pretty much what everyone is going with? Looking to make this recipe this weekend. Thanks in advance!

I have been through a bunch of the pages, is there a final recipe or is the one on the first page pretty much what everyone is going with? Looking to make this recipe this weekend. Thanks in advance!

I am very happy with the recipe on the first page!

Cascades Orange/Coriander Pale Ale
10-A American Pale Ale

09.jpg

Size: 5.5 gal
Efficiency: 68.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 178.22 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.054 (1.045 - 1.060)
|=================#==============|
Terminal Gravity: 1.013 (1.010 - 1.015)
|==================#=============|
Color: 6.0 (5.0 - 14.0)
|===============#================|
Alcohol: 5.27% (4.5% - 6.0%)
|================#===============|
Bitterness: 33.78 (30.0 - 45.0)
|============#===================|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
9 lbs Maris Otter
1 lbs Vienna Malt
1 lbs Crystal Malt 10°L
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added first wort, boiled 60 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 1 min
2 ea Fermentis S-04 Safale S-04
2.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
2.0 oz Orange zest - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
1 oz Coriander crushed - added during boil, boiled 10 min
Whirlfloc - added during boil, boiled 15 min

This is my new favorite pale ale, which is a tweak on another very popular house ale on this site. Mash a little higher than your typical PA(155) for a bit more maltiness. The 04 drops nicely and if you have the ability to cold crash the secondary, or keg, this beer will be quite clear, with a slight orangy tinge. I buy pre packaged sweet orange zest from the LHBS, because I'm lazy. The coriander is the typical stuff from the grocery store, which I crushed with a mortar and pistle.

The orange and coriander are very low in the profile, with the orange showing through a bit more with the help of the fruity Cascades. I used pellets, which I mostly refuse to do with Cascades, but it turned out great. We really like this one and I'm going to stir up another batch (or two) to make sure that we have enough for the holidays.

Cascades Orange (one of Oprah's favorite things)
Cascades_Orange_Ale.jpg

PM Version(By TimStL)

Recipe: OrangePaleAle
Brewer: Tim
Asst Brewer:
Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.41 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 7.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 32.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item
3 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)
4 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
1 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) (First Wort)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (1 min)
1.00 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 10.0 min)
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)
2.00 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 10.0 min)
2 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04)

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 6.00 lb
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
55 min Step Add 7.50 qt of water at 164.8 F 153.0 F

First off, this beer looks fantastic! Secondly, I have about 8oz of Willamette hops that I haven't broke into yet. thinking about changing the hop schedule a little.

1oz Cascade @60
1oz Willamette @15
1oz Willamette @10
1oz Willamette @5
DH 1oz Cascade and 1oz Willamette (7days)

I've actually never used Willamette before. I do know that it is a very aromatic and flavorful hop. Thoughts?

I personally think that Willamette is a bit earthy and not the citrus of the cascade. It will be totally different than the original recipe which is fantastic. I have only dry hopped with Willamette once and was not happy with the outcome.

This is my first attempt on this beer.
I wanted a little more orange flavor so I added a couple ounces of fresh peel to the boil at 5 minutes. It started out way strong on coriander but has mellowed nicely. Its got a great color and has started to really clear out nicely.

Brewed this beer up yesterday afternoon and was my second BIAB (3rd batch ever). Came close to hitting my number and landed at 1.056 pre boil..had some classic issues of almost boiling over on first addition, stuck siphon due to orange zest pieces on transfer to fermenter and forgot to take my OG reading.

On a happy note I checked the ferm chamber tonight after about 18 hrs since pitching and I was blasted by the amazing smell of oranges and yeasty goodness :0) Airlock was bubbling away and I had another proud homebrew dad moment at enjoying my product in the works.

Cheers to OP on a rockin recipe!!!

Recipe on the first page is very awesome. I even dry hopped it with 2 oz of Cascade whole hops. Really great. Next time I'm going to double the orange. Can't really taste it.

Recipe on the first page is very awesome. I even dry hopped it with 2 oz of Cascade whole hops. Really great. Next time I'm going to double the orange. Can't really taste it.

I increased the orange to 1.5 oz and it was a little better. Another thing I did to increase the orange was to increase the boil time. I think I boiled my last batch for 25 minutes instead of the 15, along with using 1.5 oz. It is perfect for me at this level.

I increased the orange to 1.5 oz and it was a little better. Another thing I did to increase the orange was to increase the boil time. I think I boiled my last batch for 25 minutes instead of the 15, along with using 1.5 oz. It is perfect for me at this level.

Good thinking. This truly was a great brew though. One of the most true to style brews I've made. Goes down easily in large quantities.

Sent from my HTC One

Good thinking. This truly was a great brew though. One of the most true to style brews I've made. Goes down easily in large quantities.

Sent from my HTC One

I have to agree. Of all the beers I make, this is one I have gone back to over and over for a nice hoppy staple beer. I too dry hop with 2 oz, but I use pellets in the keg and it really puts it toward the mild IPA territory, even though the bitterness is not very high.

Next time I am going to sub 2 row to see how it changes. I feel it will make it lighter and have less mouth feel but it may be even better as a summer brew that way.

I tried out this recipe for my first shot at all grain. After I lautered my gravity reading was 1.025. My temp from my mash tun only lost a few degrees over the hour. What could have gone wrong?

Edit: The reading was taken at 145 degrees. Going to take another reading at 70.

I just transfered this to secondary today after a long primary due to my daughter being born :0) the small sample I tasted today was awesome compared to my first gravity ready. Seem like the acidic flavor of orange was overpowering at first but mellowed nicely. Can't wait for the week of dry hopping to soak in and crash this beast and bottle. Love this freaking hobby!!!

Brew day was successful! boiled down to 5 gallons with the same grain bill. Ended up at 1.060! mustve had some pretty solid efficiency

:drunk:

Got the ingredients in to brew this one - but the cascade pellets I received are 9.3% AA! How should I adjust the recipe (if at all)? Maybe reduce the 60m addition from 1oz to 2/3oz?

Got the ingredients in to brew this one - but the cascade pellets I received are 9.3% AA! How should I adjust the recipe (if at all)? Maybe reduce the 60m addition from 1oz to 2/3oz?

If I were you I would go to

http://www.brewersfriend.com/

and throw the whole recipe into that program and it will help you adjust the hops accordingly.

Brewing now. Decided to reduce the FWH to 2/3oz to keep the IBUs somewhat in check, and kept the rest of the schedule the same as I don't want to lose any hop flavor or aroma.

Just opened my first bottle and what a great beer! I only tried one ounce of the orange peel, but will use two for the next batch for sure!

Thanks for sharing OP!

I used fresh zest of a naval orange and added 2 oz with 10min left in the boil. Its been in the bottle 1 week so I am patiently waiting. All gravity samples tasted awesome with a medium orange kick. Cheers!

I have this beer in the works to brew and had planned on using dried orange peel. However, I just brewed a Belgium wit, and used the zest of five large navel oranges. The smell going into the fermenter was amazing! I guess the trick is to get the right balance of orange flavor so it's not over powering the beer, or to far in the back ground and gets lost.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Excuse me if this seems like an ignorant question, but......
This seems like an excessive number of hop additions... 60, 10, 5, 1, and dry..... What's accomplished by the short interval additions? Seems to me that 2 additions during the boil shouldn't be a great deal different..... plus the dry hop. Add an ounce at the beginning and toss the other three in at 5 or something, then dry hop...... I wonder if anybody could actually tell the difference?

H.W.

Cascades Orange/Coriander Pale Ale
10-A American Pale Ale

09.jpg

Size: 5.5 gal
Efficiency: 68.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 178.22 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.054 (1.045 - 1.060)
|=================#==============|
Terminal Gravity: 1.013 (1.010 - 1.015)
|==================#=============|
Color: 6.0 (5.0 - 14.0)
|===============#================|
Alcohol: 5.27% (4.5% - 6.0%)
|================#===============|
Bitterness: 33.78 (30.0 - 45.0)
|============#===================|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
9 lbs Maris Otter
1 lbs Vienna Malt
1 lbs Crystal Malt 10°L
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added first wort, boiled 60 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 1 min
2 ea Fermentis S-04 Safale S-04
2.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
2.0 oz Orange zest - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
1 oz Coriander crushed - added during boil, boiled 10 min
Whirlfloc - added during boil, boiled 15 min

This is my new favorite pale ale, which is a tweak on another very popular house ale on this site. Mash a little higher than your typical PA(155) for a bit more maltiness. The 04 drops nicely and if you have the ability to cold crash the secondary, or keg, this beer will be quite clear, with a slight orangy tinge. I buy pre packaged sweet orange zest from the LHBS, because I'm lazy. The coriander is the typical stuff from the grocery store, which I crushed with a mortar and pistle.

The orange and coriander are very low in the profile, with the orange showing through a bit more with the help of the fruity Cascades. I used pellets, which I mostly refuse to do with Cascades, but it turned out great. We really like this one and I'm going to stir up another batch (or two) to make sure that we have enough for the holidays.

Cascades Orange (one of Oprah's favorite things)
Cascades_Orange_Ale.jpg

PM Version(By TimStL)

Recipe: OrangePaleAle
Brewer: Tim
Asst Brewer:
Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.41 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 7.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 32.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item
3 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)
4 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
1 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) (First Wort)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (1 min)
1.00 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 10.0 min)
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)
2.00 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 10.0 min)
2 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04)

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 6.00 lb
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
55 min Step Add 7.50 qt of water at 164.8 F 153.0 F

I have this loaded in Beersmith2, and it does seem to be a lot of hops at 7 OZ. But an American Pale Ale according to Beersmith should be between 30.0-45.0 IBU. Mine has it listed at 34.1 IBUs.
The original recipe is listed at 5 OZ, I am using whole leaf I grow, so that's why mine is bumped up.

Brewer's friend shows it at 38 IBU

H.W.

I have this loaded in Beersmith2, and it does seem to be a lot of hops at 7 OZ. But an American Pale Ale according to Beersmith should be between 30.0-45.0 IBU. Mine has it listed at 34.1 IBUs.
The original recipe is listed at 5 OZ, I am using whole leaf I grow, so that's why mine is bumped up.

I brewed this today. I was using a new PID and did not run an auto-tune……overshot my mash temp. Mashed a bit high….ok quite a bit high… so it will be interesting to see how this comes out. Other than that another good brew day. Thanks for the recipe.

Back