3/16 beer line to much larger diameter tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odin_Brews

Reaction score
Just planning my setup for a kegerator. Based on other's experience I'm going to use 4mm (approx 3/16") beerline. The taps Im looking at are 7mm (1/4") and 10mm. I can buy the appropriate adaptors from tap threads to connect the hose.

My question is will that cause any problems to change the size there at the tap? It seems like sizing up just before the tap would cause some turbulence and possibly foaming, or am I just worrying for nothing. THanks guys.

I think most folks dunk the end of the 3/16 tubing in some boiling water for a few seconds, then force it on to the 1/4 barbs.

That help ya' any?

Edit:.........It's not that much size difference.

i've had success with 3/16" ID line on 1/4" barbs. its a tight fit but works with a little heat to help stretch the hose a little.

I tried a smaller 1/8" ID line (same length) and had a ton of foaming that i think was caused the diameter increase from 1/8" to 1/4" at the tap.

you will be fine on the 7mm barb, but you might run into problems on the larger barb.

I plan to use 3/16 line on 1/4 inch barbs for my keezer build...As Stealthcruiser said, it's not that big a difference and shouldn't have a noticeable impact.

sweet, thanks guys, im looking forward to pouring the first beer off this kegerator.

Back