Visiting STL - Craft Breweries and To-Do

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris7687

Reaction score
Hey guys,
A Florida boy here traveling to STL with my girlfriend to visit some friends out there. It is both of our first times in St Louis. We are very excited and will be in town for 5 days. We have plans to go to the Colts vs Rams game on the Sunday, but not to much else planned yet. Our friends are making a list of things to do, but I was hoping to get some insight from you all as well. They want to take us to the Anheuser Busch brewery, which would be interesting, but I was hoping to get some insight on some awesome craft breweries. I love trying and collecting beer from around the country. Any recommendations? Especially ones that bottle/can, so I can take some home with me to share. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Regards,
Chris

Where in St. Louis are you staying? Schlafly, Kirkwood Station, Ferguson, Exit 6, and Trailhead are all good and in the area. If you will be spending most of your time downtown, Schlafly's Tap Room is a good choice. Also, Tigin Irish Pub is pretty decent within walking distance of the Edward Jones Dome.

In the Brentwood area. My girlfriend and I were looking to take a taxi DT to check that area out and the Arch, before heading to our friend's place.

Near Brentwood I would have to recommend Schlafly's Bottleworks, in Maplewood. Forgot to mention Civil Life, Four Hands, Alpha Brewing Company, and Six Row as well. Lots of good beer around here. Just Google any of those and see what works for you. I hope you enjoy it!

The absolute best brewery in town, and no, this is not debatable, is Urban Chestnut. It's in mid-town, roughly 10 miles from Brentwood (I live in Brentwood and bike there fairly often). You'll find a lot of rare German styles that you wouldn't typically see at a craft brewery. Just about everything they make is awesome.

Civil Life is another one of my favorites. They specialize in lower gravity beers.

Schlafly Bottleworks is just right down the road from Brentwood. I personally can't stand the food there (their downtown location, The Tap Room, is IMO much better), but the beer is pretty good. Nothing that's gonna knock your socks off, but their 3 IPAs that they have in rotation are definitely something special.

Kirkwood Station has good food, but I find their beers to be pretty hit or miss.

I haven't been to Four Hands since they first opened because I wasn't impressed with any of their beers, but I've had a few bottles of their stuff lately, and it's gotten much, much better. If you go here, be sure to check out iTap right down the road. Hands down best beer selection in St. Louis.

If you can swing it, take a day trip down to Sainte Genevieve and visit Charleville. It's in a beautiful, secluded location. They were actually a winery before they started brewing. Their beers are pretty good, but their port wine is my absolute favorite thing there. You can also check out the other wineries in the area. I highly recommend Chaumette.

Oh, and definitely do the AB brewery tour. You won't regret it.

Can't believe I forgot Urban Chestnut! Everything I've tried from them has been solid. Best lagers in town.

I've just re-read this thread at least three times and can't believe Perennial hasn't been mentioned yet. All sorts of creative beers there.

I agree with Jeffjm, Perennial is going to be the unique, rarer styles, and fantastic place to go. I'd say, make sure you go there and four hands. Urban chestnut and Civil life are right there...don't know if they bottle. I have been to six-row a few times...good food but better beer elsewhere. For bbq, Pappy's is fantastic and I've heard Bogart's smokehouse is right there. For dessert, Ted Drewes frozen custard and/or Crown candy. Crown is a really cool, old-fashioned candy and ice cream shop, but not necessarily in the best neighborhood (but not the worst St. Louis has to offer). If you are there when the Cards are (hopefully) playing, head down to the landing (it's a strip of bars/restaurants down by the Mississippi) for a good crowd and experience. And food on The Hill is going to be a good Italian dining option anywhere you go. Those are my favorites when I am back home! Enjoy!

Awesome. Thanks for the tips again guys and all the food recommendations Brewsader! I definitely want to get some of the famous St. Louis BBQ while I'm out there! Hoping the Cards keep going. My buddy has excellent first base seaon tickets, so mght be lucky enough to see a World Series game!

If you go to the Landing, be sure to visit Morgan Street. They make some great lagers there.

Back