Definition of Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saramc

Reaction score
I recently posted a question to the Facebook page for American Mead Maker's Association (official group), https://www.facebook...92251727502250/ because I wanted to know what their organization's definition is. Currently they are basing off of honey only and requires that a minimum of 51% of all fermentables needs to come from honey. No other sugar source, such as maple syrup (known as acerglyn), would be considered as a mead unless the minimum amount of fermentable honey is incorporated. I could also see some fruit mead, melomel, being at risk if you do not meet the minimum amount of fermentable honey.

I am interested in your feedback but also encourage you to join the FB group listed above and provide your feedback on the Facebook post I recently started.

Thanks, Sara

I'm not as liberal as they are with their allowing 49% to come from other sources.

A melomel will have some fruit fermentables but 49% is a lot.

I would encourage everyone to review TTB definition of 'honey wine'. They do not call it mead, nor do they reference amount of fermentables which must be derived from honey, BUT if said honey wine has an ACV more than 14% it is not allowable (which I find interesting because most dessert wines need to have a minimum 15% ACV).

Granted, I understand that the majority of us are amateurs and the TTB rules/regs regarding 'honey wine' will mean nothing BUT I think when it comes down to competition, etc., there needs to be symmetry across the industry. This is where the AMMA is hoping to get involved, because mead seems to be the red-headed stepchild of wine. Definitely need help on the mead forefront with the TTB, mead is increasing in popularity.

Scroll down to 24.203.... http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...=27:1.0.1.1.19&idno=27#27:1.0.1.1.19.10.343.7

Well personally it doesn't matter to me, being outside the US, but having read the stuff about this AMMA etc, I still question the motivations in whatsisface setting it up.

I could understand if it was a "Professional" or trade thing, but it comes across as wanting to set up rules and/or standards that could be used to push people around or otherwise meddle, in what, for most of us, is a hobby.

If they want more rules, especially rules from state or federal government, I suspect that might be pushing it a bit far.

After all, aren't the rules for competition enough ?

I could understand if it was a "Professional" or trade thing, but it comes across as wanting to set up rules and/or standards that could be used to push people around or otherwise meddle, in what, for most of us, is a hobby.

I don't think they are trying to control people. More like being able to have a commercial product that complies with some impressive sounding set standards and still have almost half of the fermentables be cheaper than honey.

Bloke, bloody obvious start your stir plate on low and slow mate:) I would like to see a mead organization based more on winemaking side than beerbrewing side to get more flexibility especially in judging events. Using beer guidelines to judge mead doesnt really cut it for us. WVMJ

Well personally it doesn't matter to me, being outside the US, but having read the stuff about this AMMA etc, I still question the motivations in whatsisface setting it up.

If they want more rules, especially rules from state or federal government, I suspect that might be pushing it a bit far.

After all, aren't the rules for competition enough ?

Latest posts

Back