Do I need to add new yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SasquatchSmith

Reaction score
So...about a week ago I was planning to brew a pumpkin ale, and I picked up one of those smack packs from Wyeast. I smacked it, intending to brew that day or the next...but as it turned out, I didn't find time until about 4 days later.

So the pack sat in the fridge, completely inflated for a few days...then I pitched it into the oxygenated wart and now, 2 days later, there seems to be absolutely no activity at all.

I've got about 6 batches under my belt and i've used the same dry safale us05 dry yeast for all of them so I have no experience with this kinda. Is it time to panic yet? Can I save this by pitching in a dry packet?

THANKS!

Since you did not make a starter you have not pitched the proper amount of yeast. The yeast will first reproduce to cell counts enough to ferment the beer. So, you may not get signs of fermentation for a few days after pitching.

Did you warm up the yeast before pitching? If not, it might take even longer.

The yeast should be OK, I would wait another couple of days then take a gravity reading to see what is happening before taking any action.

I didnt warm it up but I did take it out of the fridge for an hour or 2. Thanks for the help, ill give it some time

SasquatchSmith said:
I didnt warm it up but I did take it out of the fridge for an hour or 2. Thanks for the help, ill give it some time

Could take up to 72 hours. If you are going to continue using liquid yeast then learn how to make starters:

Back