Balance and going hop heavy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karmawar

Reaction score
I am ordering some Apollo for the first time so I am looking at making 2 new single hop recipes, IPA @ 5%abv and one @ 8%ABV.

I read somewhere ages ago about matching OG and IBU (so 1.070 with 70 IBU), it has worked for me so far with other hops in IPA's and bitters but the high AA of Apollo got me thinking.

If I want to go hop heavy (as in Punk IPA and Hardcore IPA) is there a rule of thumb I can follow, any advice so that I don't go WAY over with bitterness, or go way under an not make much difference?

I have no problem chucking in a bunch of hops and just seeing how things go, but thought since I wont be getting the hops and grain till next week I can mull it over.

I guess your question is how high of a ratio you can go. I'd recommend not exceeding a BU:GU ratio of 1.15 (right now looks like you are 1.00). I'd also recommend not exceeding 70% of your total IBU with your bittering addition to ensure you get good flavor.

Yeah I was wondering about going for my usual 1 oz at 60 or doing somethiing like 1/2oz 60 and adding the other 1/2 oz in with the 20 minute addition?

I have made an all apollo IPA. My suggestion is to combine it with something else. It is a very one-dimensional hop.

Also, when building a recipe like this for an APA, IPA, etc. Start by figuring out your late hop additions, and after that, add enough bittering hops to hit your desired IBU.

Are you brewing these beers to try and get a feel for what the appolo brings to the table? If so I can reccomend a great recipe and hop schedule.

recommend away Permo!

I have cascade, citra, EKG and fuggles on hand, would any of these pair well with apollo? i would love to create that crazy grapefruit flavour!

Just bought a pound of Apollo (pellet) from my LHBS. And I am looking for a "Great" recipe and hop schedule to use it as a single hop brew.

I 2nd permo to recommend away!

Apollo is low in Cohumulone, so its bitterness won't have the harsh edge of, say, Chinook. Hops added in the last 15 or 20 minutes often don't pack the bittering punch calculated by brewing software. You won't taste anything over 100 ibus anyway. So until Permo gets back to us, I'd say blast away on the 8% and go 1:1 or thereabouts on the 5%.

Full disclosure: I have 4oz of unopened Apollo in my freezer and I'm interested in hearing other people's experiences before I use it.

My last IIPA had a BU:GU of 1.77, and I'd say it fell right in where it should with bitterness (OG 1.077, 8.6% ABV). I use Tinseth for my IBU calculations, and I really feel like my homebrews were lacking in bitterness when compared to commercial beers with reportedly the same IBUs. IBU calculators are good approximations, but keep in mind, they're just approximations.

I now just aim to hit a 1.00 BU:GU ratio with my 60 minute addition and disregard any of my 15-flamout addition IBU contributions. I'm much happier with the results using this method, but of course YMMV.

phenry said:
I now just aim to hit a 1.00 BU:GU ratio with my 60 minute addition and disregard any of my 15-flamout addition IBU contributions. I'm much happier with the results using this method, but of course YMMV.

Thanks phenry, this will probably help me out as my last IIPA was disapointing on the bitterness even though i had calculated 80 IBU but most of that came from late additions.

I had some imported oaked arrogant bastard ale at the weekend, and it didnt live up to my expectations so a dissapointing weekend allround beer wise :(

Back