moving beer from a corny to another corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyinsonoma

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If I wanted to move some beer to keep and give the rest to someone can I just pressurize the tank and move it as I would serving it and just setup another outlet from the outlet of the filled corny?

Would I pressurize one corny inlet, push it out the outlet, to another outlet of the empty? I can't push it in the inlet w/o something going out correct?

I force carbed them and was going to install a co2 tank to push it from one tank to the other. I have two kegs or a keg and a half and I wanted to save a little for friends to taste before I give the rest away tomorrow.

Would I pressurize one corny inlet, push it out the outlet, to another outlet of the empty? I can't push it in the inlet w/o something going out correct?

I would pressurize vessel A (with the beer) and use the two outlets connected idea. Place the empty corney (vessel b) on a scale (digital bathroom scale perhaps) and release pressure using the relief valve on the lid from vessel b until you have the right amount of beer in vessel b. Water weighs about 8.35 lbs per gallon. You could use that number as a general reference. If you wanted to give the person 2 gallons of beer, it would weigh 16.7 lbs. Don't forget to take into consideration the weight of the corney. I believe this is how breweries fill bottles using a counter pressure system to prevent loss of carbonation. Hope that helps:mug:

Yes, do exactly as you described. Except I would pre-fill the receiving keg with CO2. To get the beer to flow, you will need to lift the pressure release of the receiving keg.

correct, just make a jumper hose with beer out qds on both sides. purge the o2 from the receiving keg with co2 and then release all pressure from both kegs. with the pressure reliefs closed hook up the co2 to the 1st keg and only use enough pressure to move the beer, about 2-4lbs. with the jumper hooked from beer out to beer out, pull the pressure relief on the receiving keg and the beer will start to flow. (if you have pin locks youll have to depress the poppet on the gas in side of course)

Maybe this doesn't need to be said but...run off a couple pints from the first corny before you start the transfer and you will end up with a keg that has very little yeast in it. I always do this for kegs that I want to transport.

Maybe this doesn't need to be said but...run off a couple pints from the first corny before you start the transfer and you will end up with a keg that has very little yeast in it. I always do this for kegs that I want to transport.

+1
That sounds like a great idea to improve clarity and such. I might do this from now on just to improve clarity.

Back