Kegging tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AGBrewer

Reaction score
I am racking a couple of brews to kegs tomorrow, they will be stored for maybe a couple of months, couple questions, should I prime them with sugar? if so how much co2 pressure should i put in the keg, and how much sugar? Or, should I leave it flat, fill the headspace up and pressurize with co2? Or should I force carbonate then store it? Thank you

Kegging eliminates the need to prime your beer, it doesn't mean you can't, it just means that you don't have to. I'm of the opinion that you should just pressurize the keg, purge the air out of the headspace a couple of times and bring it up to 25-30 psi to make sure that the lid is sealed. Then just let it age for however long you like at cellar temps. When it's ready to go, chill it in the fridge, connect it to the CO2 at your desired serving pressure and it will be good to go in about 5 days.

NewBrewer25 said:
I am racking a couple of brews to kegs tomorrow, they will be stored for maybe a couple of months, couple questions, should I prime them with sugar? if so how much co2 pressure should i put in the keg, and how much sugar? Or, should I leave it flat, fill the headspace up and pressurize with co2? Or should I force carbonate then store it? Thank you
I force (shake) carb but if youre going to let them sit still for a long time, definitely don't waste the gas.

Purists would suggest you prime with 1/2 cup of corn sugar and let them condition naturally. You certainly have the time. If you do that, I'd just puff the corny with enough pressure (5-10 lbs) to purge the air and seat your lid.

If you want to use CO2 to slow-carb them, hit em with about 10 lbs of pressure to purge and seal, disconnect the gas and let them age for the time (couple of months) you mentioned. Leaving the gas connected that entire time is overkill. About 2-3 weeks before serving, hook em up at serving psi, chilled.

I force carbed my first two kegs. Now, I just prime with 1/3 cup corn sugar and let the yeast carbonate the beer for me. Immediately after racking into the keg, i'll hit the seals with 20psi or so, wait a couple of minutes, and pull the purge on the keg lid while the gas is still hooked up. After that you just yank it off the gas and toss the keg in the closet. When you want to drink the beer, its already carbonated. Just chill and drink.

If you want to carb at room temp, use sugar. If you want to (and have the space to) chill your keg and carb immediately, put it on the gas. I now have the space to chill 9 corny's at the same time and only 4 faucets. I don't have any practical reason to naturally carb.

Bobby_M said:
If you want to carb at room temp, use sugar. If you want to (and have the space to) chill your keg and carb immediately, put it on the gas. I now have the space to chill 9 corny's at the same time and only 4 faucets. I don't have any practical reason to naturally carb.

Yeah, me too. I've got room now for 9 kegs too, plus room to crash cool a bucket or carboy (or 12 kegs). SWMBO gave me permission to get another chest freezer, so If I had room, I'd get one big SOB, that could hold loads of kegs, but I don't have the room yet (till the BrauHaus gets built). Theoretically, a 20 cu. foot chest freezer should hold a dozen kegs, right?

homebrewer_99 said:
I guess I shouldn't be a braggart either...25 kegs...:eek:

Most people would reply with "I hate you".

Homebrewer_99, old buddy, I say....

You're my fricking Hero! :rockin:

Back