What is in Dark Malt Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarbonatedColon

Reaction score
It is pretty east to figure out how liquid pale malt is made, but what is in the dark extract?

In the past I have brewed a killer EXTRACT chocolate stout twice .. the base of the recipe was liquid dark malt extract purchased from my LHBS, it's the type you pour out of a huge plastic barrel. I have recently switched to all grain and I would like to convert my recipe to all grain, but I have no idea where to start for the grain bill.

for my extract recipe, I also steeped in some Carastan, Chocolate, Roasted Barley, and 2-Row. For an all grain version, I'm guessing the base grain to be largely made up of 2-row with maybe one pound of Chocolate, one pound of Carastan, and a touch of Roasted Barley? .... a long with my other ingredients, I just want to be sure I still get that dark black color.

Maybe this should be posted in recipes? I apologize.

Yeah, check the recipes here. Browse around, observe the amounts of the various grains, and either put one together yourself, or go with someone else's "tried and true."

If you go to the Briess website, they say what their various extracts are composed of.

When I'm trying to come up with a recipe for a certain style, I'll read up on the style itself and then look through a bunch of recipes and see what sorts of things are common to them to see what I really need to make the style. I also note things that are different between them, but seem interesting and from all that I can come up with my own, somewhat unique recipe.

Beersmith also helps. You can add and remove different ingredients and it will change the estimated color, OG, IBU's and whatnot so you can try to aim for style if you want.

What company made the extract?

The ingredients that a certain company uses in producing extracts vary. My best advice would be to try to check what percentage of ingredients the company was using and try to convert that over to AG. Most companies will post some information about what is used in production.

When I'm trying to come up with a recipe for a certain style, I'll read up on the style itself and then look through a bunch of recipes and see what sorts of things are common to them to see what I really need to make the style. I also note things that are different between them, but seem interesting and from all that I can come up with my own, somewhat unique recipe.

Beersmith also helps. You can add and remove different ingredients and it will change the estimated color, OG, IBU's and whatnot so you can try to aim for style if you want.

I came up with my own recipe by reading up on the style for my Amber Ale, however, I am new to this and there are so many different types of Stout. I'm not sure where to start .... I guess my Chocolate Stout is closest to a Young's Double Chocolate Stout. Would you say the base for that would be "American Stout" ??

Yeah, check the recipes here. Browse around, observe the amounts of the various grains, and either put one together yourself, or go with someone else's "tried and true."

I looked at some recipes and I think i'm on the right track - 7 to 8 lbs of 2-row and a combination of Crystal, Chocolate, Roasted Barley etc.... which I need to figure out, which is the fun part.

Thanks all - this forum is very helpful.

I came up with my own recipe by reading up on the style for my Amber Ale, however, I am new to this and there are so many different types of Stout. I'm not sure where to start .... I guess my Chocolate Stout is closest to a Young's Double Chocolate Stout. Would you say the base for that would be "American Stout" ??

It all depends on what you want. I wanted my chocolate stout to be bitter, bitter and bitter, so I went with a dry stout as the base. If you're wanting something more like Young's, you might want to go with a sweet stout as the base. And since Young's is British, I definitely wouldn't use an American style stout as the base. Too much hop for it.

Back