Dry Hopping - Primary versus Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zymurgy101

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm certain these questions have been asked; however after a few searches, I didn't find detailed information so I thought I would post here. If I missed a thread on the topic somewhere, my apologies, but please post a link if you would be so kind.

What are the advantages\disadvantages if you were to dry hop in the primary after fermentation has stopped?

What are the advantages\disadvantages to dry hopping in a secondary?

Assumption: In both cases, pellet hops will be used with no hop bag.

Thanks!

Jeff

Hi all,

I'm certain these questions have been asked; however after a few searches, I didn't find detailed information so I thought I would post here. If I missed a thread on the topic somewhere, my apologies, but please post a link if you would be so kind.

What are the advantages\disadvantages if you were to dry hop in the primary after fermentation has stopped?

What are the advantages\disadvantages to dry hopping in a secondary?

Assumption: In both cases, pellet hops will be used with no hop bag.

Thanks!

Jeff
I dont think there will be much difference either way, as long as it has stopped fermenting, the primary dry hop should be fine.:rockin:

I dry hop in the serving keg with bagged leaf hops. If I were to use pellets I would go in the primary, then crash cool before going to keg or bottles. No secondary for me except for an occasional Lager.

I dry hop in the primary after about twelve days of fermentation. A week later, I'll cold crash for four to five days before racking to keg.

you don't want to dry hop during active primary/vigorous fermentation as the CO2 will actually carry off a lot of the hop aromas.

if you don't rack to secondary and just do long primaries, wait til you've hit your FG before dry hopping.

I dry hop in the primary but well after fermentation has stopped. I drop 'em in there after 14 days, then bottle at 21 days. No cold crashing or anything. Works well. I use a very fine mesh bag for dry hopping, though, and use pellets. Never done it with loose hops floating around so maybe that cold crash is a good idea for you.

Tasty McDole was saying that he waits till there are a couple gravity points left so that when he opens the primary to add dry hops, there is still enough fermentation to eat the oxygen that he lets in to do so. Sounds like a good idea.

Back