quick disconnect experiance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emc

Reaction score
I currently use the poly quick disconnects, but go through a ton of the o rings so I am thinking of switching to ss. Anyone have an opinion on the cam lock vs ball lock (think thats what they call them) style? Temp issues as far as handling? Any opinions or experience would be appreciated.

Are you losing those o-rings, or are they breaking down?

If the former, you could buy a whole crap ton of O-rings from McMaster-Carr for what a few new disconnects would cost. If the latter - well, same deal, just get better O-rings than what you've been using.

Otherwise, I really like SS camlocks with silicone O-rings, particularly the ones I got from Bargainfittings.com. Good stuff, not too pricey...

Cheers!

Bought a bunch from McMaster, and even those tend to break down pretty quick. My other complaint, is even with some lube on the fittings they don't always "quick" disconnect. Any complaints about the cam locks?

I have cam locks and love them. With only a little practice, one hand operation is easy. Had them going on two years now with no issues.

I originally had the "chrome plated brass" ones from Bargain Fittings. They leaked like crazy no matter what I did... They were awesome and let me return them for cam-locks. Been using them for a year with no complaints other than a couple of them can be a real bear to get on (yes, I've changed them all to o-rings but a couple are still REAL tight). Not a big deal though as I've moved the tough ones to hoses I only hook up once during a brew day.

Thought about buying some B3 ones or even the new stainless ones from Bargain Fittings (pretty sure the problem with the chrome ones was the chrome plating) but the cam-locks work great and even the tough ones are not that big of deal. The only benefit would be easier one handed operation.

Back