Forced Carb frustration!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

igotworts

Reaction score
Procedure: Chill in chest freezer for 2-2.5 hrs, set PSI at 30min, do the rock'n'roll for 15mins= 3/4 days later its carbed.

Yesterday I bottled one doz. Couple hours after bottling, I pour some samples with a perfect head- all good. Then today I pour one for myself, right away I see no head so I pour from 10-12 inches high- still no head. This beer is ice cold and you can see the 1000s of tiny bubbles when you swirl it in the glass, actually if you swirl it enough- it developes a little head.

No consistancy is driving me nuts- not getting the great aromas from the bottle that the same beers has off the keg.:confused:

Need your imput- thanks guys!!:mug:

I always do the "set it and forget it" method to slowly carbonate. Every time that I've tried a "shortcut", the beer never comes out right. Ever.

Sounds like the beer is colder than it was when you burst-carbed it. Check the temperature and consult a carbonation chart like this one to see if you need to adjust your CO2 pressure and give the beer some time to carb up...

Cheers!

Great thread that answers this question: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/keg-force-carbing-methods-illustrated-73328/

Illustration from said great thread (OP - you're the red line):

forcecarbillustrated.gif

How did you bottle the beer after burst carbing? It's possible that if you didn't use counterpressue (beergun) that the co2 that was in there came out with foam.

I see two major problems with your approach. One is the burst carbing and then bottling in just a few days (if that is what you did). That wasn't long enough for the co2 to be fully dissolved in the beer. Then, when you bottle from the keg you have to use counterpressure to hold the c02 in the beer in the bottle, and then cap quickly.

I hope that makes sense- I'm picturing it in my mind, when I do it but I may not be explaining it well.

How did you bottle the beer after burst carbing? It's possible that if you didn't use counterpressue (beergun) that the co2 that was in there came out with foam.

I see two major problems with your approach. One is the burst carbing and then bottling in just a few days (if that is what you did). That wasn't long enough for the co2 to be fully dissolved in the beer. Then, when you bottle from the keg you have to use counterpressure to hold the c02 in the beer in the bottle, and then cap quickly.

I hope that makes sense- I'm picturing it in my mind, when I do it but I may not be explaining it well.

Patience is not my strong suit, I agree that bottling 3/4 days later is way too soon- I just read Bobby's thread on carbing which really cleared up the concept. I do use a beergun (love it). Next I will plan more and try the set and forget method.

Kinda cool that two of my fav posters (Bobby and Yooper replied):mug:

Back