confusion about water per pound ratio?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyoast

Reaction score
As I have been reading and learning, I keep hearing that the water to lbs of grain ratio when mashing should be about 1-1.25qt per pound of grain. Most recipes I have studied call for a 60 minute boil (5 gallon batches) what I'm confused about is this..If the grainbill is only 8-9lbs of grain for a low gravity beer, or 12-13lbs for a higher gravity beer, how will the same ratio work for both recipes and end up with the same post boil amount of wort??

Thanks,

As I have been reading and learning, I keep hearing that the water to lbs of grain ratio when mashing should be about 1-1.25qt per pound of grain. Most recipes I have studied call for a 60 minute boil (5 gallon batches) what I'm confused about is this..If the grainbill is only 8-9lbs of grain for a low gravity beer, or 12-13lbs for a higher gravity beer, how will the same ratio work for both recipes and end up with the same post boil amount of wort??

Thanks,

Because of absorption. More grain absorbs more water. As long as the (Grain:Water) ratio and the boil time is consistent, your post boil volume will also be consistent. However, the amount of starch converted to sugar will always be a factor of the amount of grain and your conversion efficiency. Because more grain = more starch converted to sugar.

EDIT: Welcome to HBT!

That ratio is for mashing. You then sparge with more water to reach the boil volume.

This is true. In my previous statement I left out the sparge step. But if all aspects are consistent (including the sparge water volume), post boil volume is the same.

If i understand the question of the OP it was related to how the ratio maintains a consistent volume in both scenarios when more water is necessary for increased grain weight.

Back