Getting Married, Good excuse to brew beer, but (where) can I serve it? (MO)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mista_Sparkle

Reaction score
Hi all!

It'sbeen a while since I've been around, but I have a great excuse to brew lots of beer!

The problem is can I serve it? I know lots of people serve homebrew at the reception, but how may places actually allow this?

I'm looking for locations in the St. Louis area that would be open to homebrew and what kind of beers to serve, I'm thinking 3 or 4.

Thanks,

Mista

I am not sure what the laws are in Missouri but I would think he authorities would have to have a pretty big stick up their butt to rain on a couples parade on their wedding day. I think if you clear it with the reception hall you would be OK. It is not like you would be charging for it.

Try asking one of the St Louis area homebrew clubs. They would know more than me.

Hope that helps fish bulb.

I think you would be fine as long as the reception hall doesn't have some sort stipulation that you buy the alcohol through them.

what Phunhog says. Mo is fine with it, the issue will come with the reception hall location. At my wedding, we were allowed alcohol as long as an officer was hired as a sort of watchman. It was a requirement of the hall. At an anniversary party I hosted for the in-laws at a different location, we were just required to pay an "Alcohol Deposit."

For most of the halls, beer is beer, and wine is wine. Unless it is required to be purchased through their caterer (which I've been to a few where that was/is the requirement) they could care less on who makes it, be it Schlafly, Boulevard, Budweiser, or yourself.

Although confirm with the hall first. As while I have not seen it with a Reception Hall yet, some may be "No Bottles" or "No Kegs". while a Corney is not exactly a 15 gallon Sankey.... Never know.

Going to a wedding here in 2 months which it is required to purchase through the caterer. who sells BMC cases for like $40. I think some of us are just going to party in the parking lot.

NOTE: it is ILLEGAL to sell beer w/o a licence. However, it is not illegal to sell an empty red Solo cup (cup needs to be empty at time of sale). Lessons learned from college parties.

I think you would be fine as long as the reception hall doesn't have some sort stipulation that you buy the alcohol through them.

I'm in Minnesota and getting married in September and have come across the same thing. In our research it all depended on the venue and whether or not you had to use their liquor distributor (or in-house bar, or whatever) or could bring in your own.

Some said yes, some said no. I think your best bet would be to find some venues you like first and then just call and ask.

NOTE: it is ILLEGAL to sell beer w/o a licence. However, it is not illegal to sell an empty red Solo cup (cup needs to be empty at time of sale). Lessons learned from college parties.

I've got an arrest record that says otherwise. Spent 2 hours in Warrensburg, MO city jail trying that same thing in college. Selling alcohol without a liquor license. Class C felony. Was able to plead down to a Class A misdemeanor. $3,500 lawyer cost, $1,000 fine, $450 in "court costs". Never made $5,000 throwing a kegger, so its not worth it.

Im in the exact same place as you (literally). Live in STL, wanted to serve beer at the wedding, but quickly found out its darn near impossible. We opted then to just ask the places we were looking into for a reversal dinner if ee could use the beer for a toast...most are agreeable if you ask nice enough...

If they are balking at the idea because it is homebrew you could always put together a professional looking label. Say it is a gift from your cousin in CA who owns a brewery.;)

You might want to emphasize that you're not charging for your home brew or anything else for that matter. It is all free to anyone who can legally consume it. I have a friend who got married, had their reception in NW Missouri, and served several kegs of home brew plus some commercial wines. Their venue had no problem with it.

I bartended weddings back in college on summer and winter break at the Holiday Inn at Lindbergh and 55. We allowed outside alcohol, but we charged a corking fee. I knew a few people at other banquet halls, hotels, etc., and they all had pretty much the same rule. They don't care what they serve as long as they're getting their cut.

Like others have said, the only real way to know is to call up the places you're interested in and see what their policy is. You don't even have to say it's homebrew. Just say you'll have a couple kegs of special beer you'd like to serve. For all they know, a friend is bringing in a keg of a regional beer we can't get here. The only caveat is that the kegs will have to have sanke taps in order for them to use them.

Well, it looks like we have found a couple places that will serve the homebrew so I am super excited!
A lot wouldn't, or would only allow it as favors, but being able to serve seems pretty cool. So far it looks like they prefer bottles so I don't have an excuse to start kegging... yet

On the menu, I have a coriander wheat, a pale ale, an Oktoberfest, and a brown of some sort to balance things out so far. I just need to come up with some AG recipes that overlap heavily in ingredients so i can get bulk hops and grains. Planning on about 150 people or so.

Thanks,

Mista

Well, it looks like we have found a couple places that will serve the homebrew so I am super excited!
A lot wouldn't, or would only allow it as favors, but being able to serve seems pretty cool. So far it looks like they prefer bottles so I don't have an excuse to start kegging... yet

On the menu, I have a coriander wheat, a pale ale, an Oktoberfest, and a brown of some sort to balance things out so far. I just need to come up with some AG recipes that overlap heavily in ingredients so i can get bulk hops and grains. Planning on about 150 people or so.

Thanks,

Mista

To the contrary. The last thing you want to do is risk not having the perfect carbonation or having someone grossed out by yeast (you better believe people will drink straight from the bottle and chug a nice big slug of yeast).

You pretty much have to force carb in a keg and then bottle.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/

To the contrary. The last thing you want to do is risk not having the perfect carbonation or having someone grossed out by yeast (you better believe people will drink straight from the bottle and chug a nice big slug of yeast).

You pretty much have to force carb in a keg and then bottle.

I'm usually "do the best with what you've got" kind of person, but I agree 100% with RogerMcAllen. Back when I used to bottle, I always had to explain to people not to drink out of it and when they're pouring to leave the last little bit in the bottle. Even if you don't have a kegging system, make friends with someone who does who would be willing to help you out with this. This is one of those times that you will either turn a lot of people on to craft beers or scare them away.

I've got an arrest record that says otherwise. Spent 2 hours in Warrensburg, MO city jail trying that same thing in college. Selling alcohol without a liquor license. Class C felony. Was able to plead down to a Class A misdemeanor. $3,500 lawyer cost, $1,000 fine, $450 in "court costs". Never made $5,000 throwing a kegger, so its not worth it.

That royally sucks. It was actually a Warrensburg Cop who explained to me the sell the cups w/o beer.

As a side note, I have never met an officer I liked. So it wouldn't surprise me if one was a dick about it and arrested you for that.

You can serve your homebrew to anyone you like in Missouri. You can't SELL it without a license, but serving to people of legal age is A-OK.

But yeah the reception hall will be your biggest hurdle. They want to sell their own liquor. Most community centers, park buildings, and other such public buildings that can be rented are easy going about what you serve. It's when you start going to private reception halls that they start forcing their own catering down your throat.

Back