Weetabix Hefe....muahahaha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am really keen to hear about this. After searching and finding this, I was initially upset that there were no replies, but then saw that the topic was created today. I'm using the rectangular, Australian equivalent called "Weetbix". As far as I know, they're more or less identical except for shape.

Do they have enzymes in them or a large percentage of starch that needs converting? I have 700 grams of wheat malt extract I'm prepared to use, and was hoping not to have to go to to the store for enzymes or base barley malt. I will be doing a 4gal batch, and am prepared to boost the OG with honey if need be.

Looking forward to seeing your recipe! I have no idea how to do one...

Yeah, it is the same stuff, Pith. They also sell "Wheat Bricks" in South Africa but they sell it MUCH less expensive than they do in the United States. Anything remotely good for you over here is going to be overpriced...except for homebrew.

I'll be interested in seeing how the beer turns out! :)

I love Weetabix. Haven't had them in years though. Are you going to do a cereal mash or are you going to treat it like "Flaked" wheat/corn/oats, and just chuck it in a mash tun with some basemalt and let that do the work?

Rev: probably just tossing it in with wheat extract & some Crystal/Caramel. Sucks that I can't figure out how to enter a new ingredient on Beer Alchemy, but it should be beer nonetheless. :rockin:

So I suppose I have little choice but to add base malt, huh? Damn. Okay. Does the weight of Weetabix correspond pretty equally to the weight of flaked wheat? Or torrified wheat? I'm heading to the LHBS today for some base malt, and need to know how much wheat not to buy. I have 4.5lb of weetbix and want to do a 4gal batch.

It was and is a great beer that I still make at least twice a year. I have adjusted the hops(1/2 oz more 60 min) to be a bit more bitter other wise the recipe stands. I also make a less hoppy version for my daughter.

By the way I use a whole sleeve of weetabix per batch.

What have you got to loose but a box of weetabix.

I was thinking of doing this, but malted wheat only costs a dollar per kilo more from the HBS and raw wheat is basically the same price as Weetbix, so it's probably not worth it.

I reckon someone should do a side by side comparison (2 batches), one with Weet(a)bix and one with unmalted wheat (gelatinised by boiling) and note down the differences.

I did a Weetabix beer. It was 1.055 OG / 1.014FG, had 5kg Maris Otter, 190g of porridge oats, 300g munich malt & 300g Caramalt. Hops were Challenger and Fuggles @ 60m, 30m, 15m with an IBU of 40. I was looking to make a porridge pale which I'd made before but didn't have as much in the cupboard as I wanted (hence only 190g) so I chucked in 6 Weetabix for good measure - it was a hungover brew day afterall!

After 2 weeks in primary and 2 weeks in secondary it had a weird chemical aftertaste, as if it was laced with cheap vodka. I've since force carbed it and tried it just now and its super tasty. It has a hint of wheat beer taste and is quite full bodied. Its quite hazy, but that's fine. Anyway, have attached a pic. Cheers!

photo-2.jpg

Back