plate chiller vs break material & sludge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevedasleeve

Reaction score
I am ordering a lager kettle with a ball valve and am considering a plate chiller vs my immersion one. I don't tend to worry about break material and hop sludge getting in my carboy but perhaps I should if I get a plate chiller? Has anyone been able to use one without a hop sack or strainer of some sort? I'd be taking advantage of the free gravity I have in my neighborhood rather than using a pump...!

I am thinking the Shirron plate chiller for about $100.

Cheers!
Steve da sleeve

I absolutely love my Shirron, but I do use a hop sack. I just find it easier to use a hop sack when it comes to cleaning. But I have never had any problems with the Shirron. I do back flush it when I am done chilling and sanitize it with iodophor before use.

Gary

since I purchased my plate chiller I have used hop sacks. Before that i would just throw them in the boil. So far, i have not noticed any difference as far as the utilization of the hops, but i also have only brewed three times with it.

After I'm finished with it I have been pouring some pbw in thr wort out side and letting it sit for a few minutes. Then I just place it sitting int he sink under the faucet and run hot waster through it for a few minutes. Before using it to chill I then throw it in a bucket of star san for a couple minutes. I also boiled it once after use and think thats overkill. This method has been working good for me so far.

Back