Fermentation Box or Deep Freezer converted?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pierce

Reaction score
I'm tired of using my swamp cooler and exchanging the water bottles 2x daily and only having room for one carboy. So I'm thinking of either building a fermentation chamber with foam board or trying to find a large deep freezer. Obviously there's a slight cost difference freezer (off CL)+temp controller > foam board and computer fan.

Does anyone have any strong opinions of one over the other? Or has anyone just had a major fail with the foam board and wished you had just bought the freezer the first time?

I made a fermentation chamber out of an refrigerator. I see these all the time on Craigslist for little or nothing. If you could get a cheap fridge and a Johnston controller it might be the same price as the foam board (or close).

I saw both of those builds and I very well might use the controller, but I'm not sure I really want to go destroy a side by side fridge like that. Especially since I know I'm moving in a year and a half. At least if I leave the fridge/freezer intact maybe I can sell it to someone.

Old fridges and freezers are a dime a dozen, sometimes even free here in Jersey, look around for an old one on the cheap rather than try and build something out of new materials.

Build = fun and DIY, but if you are on a budget, the time and materials will go a long ways toward a chest freezer and a temp controller. I tried to build one, got halfway done, and with all the time and money I put into the design and materials, I could have already found one on Craigslist and bought a controller [which youll have to do anyway]

Back