Victory malt as steeping grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,
It's been a while since I've brewed an extract, but my new apartment doesn't give me space for all-grain, so I have to switch back. I'm wanting to do a pale ale with a nice bready/toasty/nutty flavor, and was wanting to use either Victory or Biscuit malt.

My question: Do these malts need to be mashed? I've found some places (including the HBT wiki) say yes, while other places say no. Has anyone used them as steeping grains?

Here's the recipe I was considering:

7.5 lb amber malt extract
0.5 lb crystal 60 (or lower)
0.5 lb victory or biscuit

.5 oz Columbus (60)
.5 oz Columbus (30)
.25 oz Columbus (10)
1 oz Columbus (dry hop)

S-05 dry yeast

According to StrangeBrew (possibly inaccurate but free) this will give me
O.G. 1.056
F.G. 1.014
ABV 5.5%
SRM 18.2
IBU 39

My experience is that to really get what you want from them, they need to be mashed. But why not do a really mini mash. Instead of steeping in half you're brewing water, why not just throw in 1 more pound of 2-row for the enzymes and mash with ~ 3/4 gallon of water @ 152*. Pull the grain sock and let it sit in a collander over the boil pot for a while while you bring the rest of the water to temp and of course put the rest of the results into the pot?

BTW, I love Victory malt. I have a recipe here somewhere for a Victory Pale Ale and man is it good. It's all-grain though.

C60L does not need to be mashed, but it works better if you do. Steeping victory or biscuit will give you color and some of the flavor.

A mini-mash, as Derrin suggests, would be best. You will be able to cut the extract by a pound if you do that.

Back