Fridge in Detached garage in wintertime.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StankAle

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a standard full sized fridge in my detached garage. During the summer I use it to ferment my brews with a temp controller.
I am concerned about using the fridge during the winter. Since the garage is detached the temp in there is usually the same as outdoors. This means that the days where it is 15-20F outside it will also be the same temp in the garage.
I thought about the light bulb trick or even one of These fridge heaters.
So does anyone have any ideas about using the fridge in the freezing winter temps?

you can use a heating pad but why not just ferment in the house? After all thats what laundry rooms are for. If your hellbent on fermenting inside the fridge, it deffinintly would insulate but your still 15 degrees below freezing point so even with the heater i dont know if your going to be up to temp. On the website- "Even if your refrigerator is in an unheated garage that gets down to 42°F. during the winter, you can still brew an ale that requires a 60° - 65° fermentation temperature"...MINIMUM OF 42 DEGREES...i wouldnt risk it

you can use a heating pad but why not just ferment in the house? After all thats what laundry rooms are for. If your hellbent on fermenting inside the fridge, it deffinintly would insulate but your still 15 degrees below freezing point so even with the heater i dont know if your going to be up to temp. On the website- "Even if your refrigerator is in an unheated garage that gets down to 42°F. during the winter, you can still brew an ale that requires a 60° - 65° fermentation temperature"...MINIMUM OF 42 DEGREES...i wouldnt risk it

I saw that quote, that is what prompted me to post here. I dont have a laundry room, just a huge unfinished basement that gets down to 50F in the winter.

Back