Should I pitch on a pals yeast cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lightweight

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a friend who is fermenting a stout using White Labs Irish Ale yeast. Since I was planning on doing a chocolate stout next and being the cheap bastard that I am, I was planning on pitching on his yeast cake when hes done.

My only concern is that he likes to ferment at room temp, which in Hawaii is in the low 80's. Providing that his yeast is infection free, is there anything else I need to be worried about?

I have a friend who is fermenting a stout using White Labs Irish Ale yeast. Since I was planning on doing a chocolate stout next and being the cheap bastard that I am, I was planning on pitching on his yeast cake when hes done.

My only concern is that he likes to ferment at room temp, which in Hawaii is in the low 80's. Providing that his yeast is infection free, is there anything else I need to be worried about?

You can still ferment at whatever temp you want to. might change the flavor profile a bit, but as long as your buddy is up on sanitation, go for it. Then if you are really cheap.... check out the thread on yeast washing and then harvest the yeast after your batch is finished.

I think it would be ok as long as you trust your friends brewing habits.
And you guys are sick:cross:

Back