Label Peelers says longer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graduate

Reaction score
Now label Peelers says that pre orders for hops will be 2-3 more weeks before shipment! WTF!! It was 2 weeks before.

Wow, they are going to have a bunch of whiny home brewers on their hands. This actually works out ok with me so long as I actually get my hops.

Hmm I ordered yesterday, they still had Citra, did I pre order?? O well as long as I get them I don't mind the wait. Not using them until next month anyway.

Hey Charlie, how bout them hops?

5 weeks Turkish

It was two weeks 5 weeks ago!

Seriously though I'm not in much of a rush. I *may* see if they're able to do pick-up at the store - I have to be in Akron area in December to check out wedding venues.

This will be my final order from label peelers. I feel like they're pulling a bait and switch move on me. I don't mind waiting a bit but when a supplier is blowing smoke it irritates the hell out of me. I also found the stop bothering us bulk email they sent all of their customers a bit arrogant considering they have our money. I think I'll stick with farm house for all my future hop purchases.

I too made a pre order with them (in late September). I ordered a couple pounds of 3 different hops. I haven't received them yet but I called them the other day, and was told not to worry, I should get them in a couple weeks. Personally, I'm okay with that. My main concern was ensuring that I'd get my order filled, and not be told at the last second, they ran out, then possibly losing the opportunity to place an order with another vendor.

The gentleman I spoke with was very friendly and polite, advising me of the large number of orders to be filled. I don't want to speak for them, or get anyone into a frenzy, but I was told that due to the large number of orders, and shortages of certain varieties, it is possible that some of the pre-orders that were made later, may be at risk. I was assured that my order was made early enough that I shouldn't have to worry, but I'm still tempted to place another order, to be sure I have the supply to last me for a while.

I am in no way trying to give negative feedback on their business, simply sharing my personal situation. This was the first order I've placed with them, and I hope I can continue to give them my business in the future.

Good lord, chill out people.

A. Hops are an agricultural product. Harvest times vary, the harvest seemed to wrap up later this year than years past.
B. Label Peelers doesn't grow, process, or package hops. They are totally at the mercy of their supplier, which might be HopUnion directly. They were given an estimate which they told their customers, that estimate was pushed back. It's not like have 500 lbs of hops in the freezer and they are watching you all squirm.
C. They are being rather transparent and forthcoming with updates.

Why all the sudden is buying new hops like buying a new iPhone for something. People, chill the F out, they're just hops. It's just beer.

I just received my shipment confirmation and tracking number from Label Peelers last night. I think they are just giving a broad time frame to make sure that everything is shipped out by the end of their deadline...or I just got lucky and was towards the top of the list. I ordered on 9/25 if that means anything.

"I don't want to speak for them, or get anyone into a frenzy, but I was told that due to the large number of orders, and shortages of certain varieties, it is possible that some of the pre-orders that were made later, may be at risk."

I don't know, they claim that they are so close to the supplier that they get hops in 5 days a week. Not being able to fill pre-orders when you know ahead of time how much you'll need (whole purpose of pre-order) is unacceptable. I don't mind waiting, but if it ends up I pre-ordered and they don't have the supply to fill the order then I'll never use them again. The only reason to pre-order anything is to guarantee you get what you wanted in the case that things sell out. To pre-order and still not receive the product is just terrible business.

Once again, some petulant homebrewer with his first-world problems (I'm not going to have Citra hops in time to make my imperial IPA recipe this weekend...waaaahhh) complaining about a vendor on a forum, instead of taking the issue up with company itself.

Passive aggressive much?

I enjoy Citra hops, but I don't find them that amazing that I need to get bent out of shape if I can't get them. I wonder how many people bought them just because they are in such high demand and problably bought way too many. It's like a feeding frenzy... The day I can't get Cascade,centennial or magnum I'll cry :)

I took it up with the company and get the continuing delay tactic. Been told three times another two weeks.

I spoke with someone at Label Peelers on Tuesday and they said it would ship out soon. No confirmation email yet, but I didn't pre-order until mid-October FWIW. No rush here. As long as I get them.

I have not received mine, or confirmation of them being sent, yet either. But my correspondence with them was polite and they answered my questions in a timely fashion. I also preordered simply to ensure getting what I wanted vs. speed of delivery. So, as long as it shows up in the next few weeks, I am fine with that.

I just ordered yesterday and my order shipped today...

2088A Simcoe Hops Pellets 1 oz 6
2022A Citra Pellet Hops 1 oz 10
2175A Citra Leaf Hops 1 oz 3

Edit: Doh' I'm an idiot I thought this was a citra hop thread :drunk:

They had the one ounce packs I believe(last years maybe?). The delay seems to be with this years 1Lb orders. I got hops ordered from 3 different places so if labelpeelers is a little behind, not a big deal to me.

I heard that HopsUnion was saying they may not get all their hops fully pelletized until the end of the year. It's a process that takes time. If everyone wasn't waiting around trying to snap up all the hops at once, the process would be: harvest in fall, process and pelletize by late year, then the stores have stock until they run out. Their posted dates were the best they knew at that time. It wasn't a guarantee. I agree it sounds a little whiny - if you don't have hops right now, it's poor planning on your part. Order from more than one vendor, order enough when they are available to insure you have stock when you need it.

Got my shipping confirmation today, I preordered 9/28. Seems they are just processing in the order recieved.

What's the new obsession with Citra and where did it come from? I mean I love the hop, it plays a key role in my house IPA. But I feel like the demand for them has gone through the roof out of nowhere. I was able to get last seasons harvest until fairly recently, now this seasons harvest is like a gold rush. I don't get it.

As for LabelPeelers, they have always been good by me. I'm sure they will take care of everyone as quickly as they can.

Still showing as pre-ordered for me, but I didn't order until 10/22. Got plenty of other hops to play around with for the time being..

Just not a fan of having orders sit in limbo, more of an instant gratification kinda guy. but the wait will be worth it.

"I don't want to speak for them, or get anyone into a frenzy, but I was told that due to the large number of orders, and shortages of certain varieties, it is possible that some of the pre-orders that were made later, may be at risk."

I don't know, they claim that they are so close to the supplier that they get hops in 5 days a week. Not being able to fill pre-orders when you know ahead of time how much you'll need (whole purpose of pre-order) is unacceptable. I don't mind waiting, but if it ends up I pre-ordered and they don't have the supply to fill the order then I'll never use them again. The only reason to pre-order anything is to guarantee you get what you wanted in the case that things sell out. To pre-order and still not receive the product is just terrible business.

Here's the deal. Labelpeelers had contracted 2000 lbs of each of the trademarked hops this year. The harvest was bad, and suddenly the supplier cut down the allotment to 400 lbs of each well into the preorder period. The contract had a clause about natural disaster type stuff (like a bad harvest) that left no legal recourse to get what was originally contracted.

Here's the deal. Labelpeelers had contracted 2000 lbs of each of the trademarked hops this year. The harvest was bad, and suddenly the supplier cut down the allotment to 400 lbs of each well into the preorder period. The contract had a clause about natural disaster type stuff (like a bad harvest) that left no legal recourse to get what was originally contracted.

The problem seems to be on Hopunion/LD Carlson's end, and subsequently passed on to Labelpeelers. One of the suppliers I ordered Citra from 2 days ago(Farmhouse) has shipped already. I pre-ordered from labelpeelers weeks ago and still not shipped. I don't blame labelpeelers by any means, they are just going by what they were told, but like dbrewski said....gota get more than one iron in the fire.

Horseballs said:

I sincerely hope that you are speaking from your buttocks.

There was a huge harvest this year and LP and others have said the same. I preordered on Oct. 2nd so ill post back when I get shipment info. I suspect next week sometime.

Good grief, enough with the whining. If they had the hops two weeks ago, they would have shipped the hops two weeks ago. They are just as interested in getting them out as you are, more so actually. This represents their livelihood, and for you it represents beer. Get a grip.

Really? You called them and bitched? They probably spend so much time on the phone, that you guys are probably the reason for the delays. In case you haven't noticed.....there is a major hop shortage of some varieties this year. Citra, Amarillo, Simcoe to name a few. Be happy your getting any. As was stated above, they don't grow the damn things and are dependent on their suppliers. I pre-ordered months ago and got the "shipped email" a couple of days ago. I'm just happy I'll be able to still make some of my favorite brews next summer. I've used Label Peelers several time and have always been happy with the company. When will some people realize that the world doesn't revolve around them?

Wow! I'm glad I grabbed a couple pounds from farmhouse. Anyway, I pre ordered on 10/15, so I will probably be waiting a bit longer. No problems.

I am a representative of LabelPeelers.com. Things are running later than expected. With agricultural product everything is an estimate and controlled by the plant's growth. We do have them coming and orders will be filled. There was a major flood of the Idaho Amarillo fields and decimated the harvest. We were expecting 2,000 lbs and were cut back considerably from that amount. We kept in contact with the growing process, so we saw this coming and stopped pre-orders when we realized the possible shortage. The shortage was a bit more than we anticipated but we contacted a few of our customers that had ordered larger amounts and told them the bad news so we only had to disappoint a few people and can fill everyone's smaller orders. FYI LD Carlson has limited all homebrew stores to 3lbs and 100 ounces of Amarillo. It's going to be a year with very little Amarillo. Rest assured your hops will be in the mail as soon as we get them. We want nothing more than to get you the hops you pre-ordered.

Very nice of you to take the time to post here. I think most people on here realize you're doing all you can to get the product out.
Thanks again for your reply:mug:

I stand corrected on the harvest. I was told by multiple companies that there was no shortage. What is the CIA running the hop press releases?

Stopped in the store today, and they are busy as heck. The front of the store is floor to ceiling boxes of hops, and the keep getting more in everyday. Apparently there are issues with the manufacturer releasing the pellets of some varieties but not the whole leaf yet. So you may see delays depending on the type you ordered. Rest assured they working their butts off to get you guys your orders.

I don't work there or anything, I'm just a noob that likes their store, prices and attitude.

Just thought I'd share some info.

Normmouth said:
Stopped in the store today, and they are busy as heck. The front of the store is floor to ceiling boxes of hops, and the keep getting more in everyday. Apparently there are issues with the manufacturer releasing the pellets of some varieties but not the whole leaf yet. So you may see delays depending on the type you ordered. Rest assured they working their butts off to get you guys your orders.

I don't work there or anything, I'm just a noob that likes their store, prices and attitude.

Just thought I'd share some info.

They have a great attitude. I called to make an add on to my order, and nobody picked up. I got a call back from Matt, who was friendly and seemed cool, took ten minutes out of his day to talk about hops and the situation they are facing. You aren't going to be able to buy a lot of these hops by summertime. They are offering a fair price, and they have a great attitude. Matt said he is getting about 200 emails a day and almost as many phone calls. At this point we can count ourselves lucky to even be getting some of these hops. I will definitely use them in the future based on their excellent selection and great attitude.

"Your Order Has Been Sent"

Right on. I had Centennial, Citra and Simcoe leaf along with a lot of other things.

I've had nothing but great luck with labelpeelers, and I'll get my hops in due time. If not, oh well. I can force myself to brew something new.

Latest posts

Back