e-keggle welding locations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoCornOrRice

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a standard 15.5 gal keggle. I want to generally do 10g batches but have the option of doing 5 occasionally, does this look good?

Note the brewer will be standing at the front.

KEGGLE WELDS.jpg

That's almost exactly how I did mine, but my sight glass/RTD port is at 7 o'clock instead of 4 o'clock. I figured that the RTD cable and element power cord are going to the same place, so they should be near each other on the keg so one doesn't have to wrap half way around. I don't think it's a very big deal, though. It will work fine either way.

You can see mine here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/keg-ekeggle-conversion-pics-259848/

I would HIGHLY recommend having a 1/2" NPT full coupling welded right above the weld seam at the bottom, and then using a 1/2" NPT to 1/2" swagelock (compression) fitting and dip tube something like this: http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/product140.html

I would then place the 1" NPS element fitting also right above the bottom seam, this will get it nice and low(lower is better), but high enough if you want to put in a 15" full false bottom. (If you use the wavy element, you may want to make sure you can still screw it in)

port for thermowell and sightglass.. you can use a 1/4"-1/2", half coupler and then use a nipple on a Tee to send the thermowell through and connect the sight glass to.

your radial separation/location is OK, but making it have your hose and wire runs short and direct is what matters after you keep the three at least couple inches apart from each other...... and keep all away from the vent holes in the bottom rim, in case you decide to use gas someday... just saying...

NoCornOrRice,

Your probe may end up really close to your element depending on which probe and element you use. Check out the inside of mine. If I put my probe where you propose to put yours, it might have been too close to the element.

IMG_8736s.jpg

If by SS hose, you mean the braiding off of a hose, I'd suggest against it for the boil kettle.

When I first set up my keggle, I used one, and had nothing but trouble with it clogging up from the proteins in the trub (in stark contrast to my mash tun, where it worked great)

kevink,
the keggle is out for welding, It will look pretty much like yours when its done, except the element will be 90 degrees from the drain.

Shockerengr,
I haven't had any problems with the SS braid in the current stove-top boil kettle, but I do use a hop sock and the boil is not very agressive. If it cloggs, I'll look at other options.

Back