California common, cry havoc yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamnw

Reaction score
Common has been in primary for 13 days at 61F - 63F, and it has slowed considerably.
Cry Havoc yeast.
Pitched at 61F, no starter. (yes I know)
No visible fermentation.
Checked gravity two days in a row.
First day: 1.022
Today: 1.022, maybe .21 maybe.....

I have another vile of havoc if need to repitch, but would hate to use if if not needed.

Original starter didn't go. something was wrong with yeast, so I was in a hurry to get some yeast on the wort. Had sat in primary about 36 hours.

I've read about people swirling the wort to get the yeast going again.

Any thoughts?

per white labs

For Ales
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-74°F

For Lagers
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 55-58°F

i'd try raising the temp up to 68° to see if they finish up the job before repitching

What was the OG. Sometimes a 1.020 is all you will get. Now, if you OG was 1.025 and it stalls at 1.020, then yes, you may have a problem. However, if your OG was 1.060, and it's been at 1.020 to a couple/three days in a row, then I would say it's done.

In my house, that would count as just being done, but raising the temp would be a great idea. Let it sit at room temp for a couple days.

Kaylor: noticed those "dolphins". Thank you for your service.

Extract, PM or AG?
Recipe?

:off:
jamnw: Thanks. Not many people know what those are.
My son was on the Scranton. He's in DC now doing shore time, but will be getting a new boat in a year or so. Be nice if he's up in Groton (get to see my granddaughter more.)

Extract kit. Raised temp to 68 on controller last night.
Will check it in couple days.

I was on surface ships. My recruiter was subs.
USS Valley Forge CG50, USS Savannah AOR4.
Both are decommissioned.

You're only at about 60% attenuation and White Labs state 66-70% for Cry Havoc. The trouble is that with extract, you don't have control over the fermentablity of the wort. That may be all you're going to get. A gentle swirl and raising the temperature up to the top of the yeasts range are about the only things I'd do. It's far enough along that you won't pick up any flavor changes associated to temperature. Give it a week and if the gravity hasn't changed call it done.

Edit to say:
USS Mount Whitney here. Don't know why my son chose the low road. :cross:

Checked today.
Raising temp worked.

Thanks for the help.

Yes I did adjust for new temp.
Thanks for the reminder though.

Back