English Beer idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaced

Reaction score
Hi All,

Been thinking about an english beer for a while, this is what I'm thinking.

Fuggles for bittering, flavour and aroma
S-04 Yeast
Sorghum as a base (I don't mind the flavour of it now).
Maltodextrine to add body
Amber candy syrup (just enough to ensure the S-04 doesn't stall).

And rack to secondary with a pound of golden syrup in the fermenter, or maybe treacle?

I know british beers have that malt flavour, which I won't be able to get but I'm hoping the S-04 will impart some "breadiness" to the beer.

A shot in the dark, but what about steeping some toasted, gluten-free oats? It might add a bready/nutty flavor....

I know british beers have that malt flavour, which I won't be able to get but I'm hoping the S-04 will impart some "breadiness" to the beer.

If this is what you are hoping for, you will be disappointed. S-04 adds fruitiness, maybe a bit of sweetness, but never bread.

Not sure how to help with the bread flavor exactly...but oats seem more likely than anything else I can think of.

Funny enough, two weeks ago I brewed up a beer with sorghum, oats(both roasted and malted), fuggles, and S-04. It’s been in the primary almost two weeks now, and I took a gravity reading earlier this evening, dropped from 1.040 to 1.010. It’s a crisp and dry, with a small bit of the sorghum twang at first. But, I think that the fuggles by themselves get overwhelmed by the sorghum. I think the EKG would pair well with S-04, but like fuggles, it’s not a high AA hop. Note – I tried making this as a Scottish ale, and my beer was very lightly hopped. My personal preference is for a hoppier beer, but this style seems to create a good base recipe to experiment with!

I've done 2 British style beers so far:

(British Pale Mild) 5 gallon batch:
3 lbs Sorghum extract
.5 lbs Demerara
.5 lbs Brown Sugar
.25 lbs ‘darkish’ candi sugar (home made)
.7 oz East Kent Goldings (55 min)
.2 oz East Kent Goldings (15 min)
Spoonful of molasses
Yeast: Safale S-04
OG: (1.036)
4 gallon boil

This was a very easy drinking session beer, and it was gone in NO time. I would add 4 oz of maltodextrin to this one.
(Bitter)
6 lbs sorghum extract
1 lb rice extract
Steeped 5 oz roast buckwheat for about 20 minutes
4 oz maltodextrin
1 oz EKG 60 minutes
1 oz EKG 1 minute
Pitched at around 75 (Danstar Windsor)

The second batch, I really wish I had used S-04 yeast, and honestly, I was disappointed in the results of the buckwheat. Doing it again, I'd swap the rice extract for 1 lb of some dark candi sugar.

Hi Dorklord, what brand of molasses did you use?

and moved this from the duplicate thread.
--------

Hi All,

Looking at putting together a British Beer recipe.

I've got about 50grams of challenger and 50grams of fuggles hops.

Was thinking an ounce each of challenger and fuggles at 60 minutes
an ounce of fuggles at 15 minutes
Some honey at flameout, maybe a pound.

Fermenting with US-05 because it's clean and doesn't stall like S-04 (have read others complaining about it stalling).

I'm reluctant to use molasses or treacle unless anyone has had good experience with these and sorghum. This is why I'm ver reluctant to touch molasses and treacle http://gfhomebrewing.blogspot.com/2011/10/sugar-carbonation-trials-1.html

Mother Hubbard, unsulphured pure blackstrap.

I did use a lot of (sorghum) molasses in a recipe once, and I was not too happy with the result, so I've never used more than like 2 spoonfuls in any other beer.

Back