Looking for a new thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danorocks17

Reaction score
Yesterday I did an all-grain chocolate oatmeal stout. I think I mashed in too high and my efficiency was absolute crap. I always kind of thought my glass thermometer was a little of, and according to that my temp was a little high, but I think it was reading low, but I digress.... I wanted to replace this thing anyways and lo and behold the bastard decides to break on my in my kettle. So I'm in the market for a decent, but cost effective thermometer. Being a poor grad student and all, i'd like to spend big bucks but I can't right now. I saw this lollipop on amazon and was wondering if anyone on here has one and what they thought. Thanks HBTers!:mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
My Taylor thermopen is 10' off at 155 and 8 at 100 reads fine at room temp and the adjustment screw does nothing to decrease it. I have checked all 5 of my thermos at various temps and my lab, brewmometer and dial are accurate but the two digitals are off. Go figure.

I'm trying to get to the $25 free shipping mark, and while I was looking around I found this thermometer as well. It's got good reviews and I figured I could use this one as a back-up if the battery dies during a brew day on the Taylor, and I could use two to test against each other. Any thoughts???

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a couple of inexpensive glass laboratory thermometers that work nicely for me. Same kind you probably used in high school chemistry. They are long enough that I can get the bulb down toward the center of the mash leave it there.

And they make an 'ultra' version that is .5 deg C at 'certain points'. I'm trying to find out what those points are...

I have a couple of inexpensive glass laboratory thermometers that work nicely for me. Same kind you probably used in high school chemistry. They are long enough that I can get the bulb down toward the center of the mash leave it there.

It seems you can't really trust any thermometer. My cheap glass lab thermo is off by up to 5F.

Well I got a response from Novatech about the ultra thermometers.
The test points they check at 0 deg C and 100 deg C for +- 0.5 deg C accuracy.

Hmmm.

Now I wonder if a traceable thermostat is worthwhile. Anyone, with care, can test
at freezing and boiling. I guess the difference is that the thermostat is at least adjusted
to be within the tolerance range.

Hmmm.

Free Taylor thermometer 4 deg at 0 deg
$35 Traceable thermometer +-1 deg at 0 deg, 100
$50 Ultra T* thermometer +-0.5 deg at 0, 100 deg.

Anyone else think its worthwhile.
Maybe that CDN proaccurate thermometer with the autocal at 0deg is worthwhile.
I initially didn't like it because you can't adjust to match other therms, only set it at zero.

Is there a way to test temps other than water at boiling and freezing? What about alcohols boiling point it's 173F? That's closer to mash temps than the other. Although I don't know how safe it is or where to get pure alcohol.

I've been round and round on this. The best solution I have found is to use this traceable glass lab thermometer as my bench mark:

http://www.carolina.com/product/equ...).do?keyword=745416&sortby=bestMatches&page=1

I have several digital thermometers including two type "k" thermocouple models. One of those is a traceable version. The problem is that if you switch thermocouples, it is not longer considered lab calibrated (traceable). You can, however, calibrate it yourself if you have a reliable benchmark to check it against.

Additionally, I've found that using boiling or ice water to check/calibrate a thermometer can be tricky. The ice water must be the consistency of a slurpee. IOW, a fine ice slush with little or no free water in it. You must keep the probe away from the sides and bottom of the container and you must allow plenty of time for the probe to equalize with the slush. This can be as much as five minutes and sometimes more to get it stable within a fraction of a degree. It's similar with boiling water. I've found that sometimes boiling water will read slightly above boiling at the surface, but not at any depth. I'm not sure why this happens, but it may have to do with the atmospheric pressure or something. I think the water may be boiling very near the bottom of the kettle where the heat is applied, but at that depth, the pressure is slightly greater than atmospheric. When the water rises to the surface, it may be slightly superheated and read a bit higher than 212*F. The worst situation is when a thermometer reads correctly at boiling, but not at freezing etc or when is is not consistent throughout the range.

I'm with Bobby on this. It seems you cannot trust any of them absolutely, but the calibrated lab thermometer I linked above is the best thing I have found so far. It checks out at both boiling and freezing and I don't see how it could get out of whack so long as you don't break it completely.

If you want to read something interesting on the subject, google how Mr. Fahrenheit developed his temperature scale and how much trouble he had establishing the freezing and boiling points of water. He was facing much the same dilemma with nothing truly reliable to use as a benchmark. I don't have a link to the info, but some searching should easily turn up the history. Wiki probably has something on the subject. I find that kind of thing fascinating. Fortunately for us brewers, if we can get within a degree or two of the true temperature it's generally good enough. There will likely be more variance throughout the grain bed or fermenter than that anyway, so we are often also chasing a moving target. The Easy-Read traceable is not very expensive and one of the best brewing accessories I have ever purchased. It is also truly easy to read as the name implies. The graduations are big and highlighted by the yellow background. You can easily read it to a tolerance of 1/2 degree F and maybe better than that if you use a magnifying glass. I'm good with being able to read it to +/- one degree without difficulty.

FWIW, the relatively cheap CDN Pro-Accurate digital has proven to be very reliable and accurate. I've been using one for about six years IIRC and it has always been quite accurate (as far as I can tell). I've also dropped it into near boiling water twice and it survived without any damage or loss of accuracy. I don't know how many times you could get away with that, but twice is pretty damn rugged IMO.

I have two clocks as well and you know how that goes!

Is there a way to test temps other than water at boiling and freezing? What about alcohols boiling point it's 173F? That's closer to mash temps than the other. Although I don't know how safe it is or where to get pure alcohol.

When I was young back in the day, I recieved a big ass Gilbert chemistry set for xmas. These were all the rage way back then. Well, it came with an alcohol lamp and several erlenmeyer flasks, boiling flasks etc. I thought it would be interesting to try to boil some alcohol. This was obviously a big mistake. The plume of alcohol rising from the flask ignited almost immediately and the flame was shooting about 3 feet above the flask. This experiment was done on top of the desk in my room. I naturally panicked and grabbed a towel and tossed it over the top of the flask. The flask spilled and the flames spread over the top of my desk. Very luckily, I had a blanket nearby and draped that over the entire desk. That managed to put out the fire. I came close to burning the entire house down and possibly getting burned myself in the process. I was extremely lucky that day and needless to say, it was a superb learning experience. I don't recommend attempting the same experiment, at least not indoors. Those chemistry sets contained some mighty dangerous stuff, but that was also what made them so much fun. Some of the chemicals in the set are now known to be carcinogenic IIRC. There was no vial of plutonium included, but I am almost surprised there wasn't.:D

well i received my thermometers in the mail today. I bought the Taylor probe and then the CDN dial as a backup in case the batter or something goes out on the Taylor during brew day. I tested them out right away in a crushed ice water bath and the Taylor was pretty good sitting at 31.6 and the dial was reading pretty accurately too. Just for gits and shiggles I tested my other cheapo digital I was using and it turns out it was off at least 3-4 degrees. Glad I got these!

Back