Plumbers Lube vs Keg Lube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmuir

Reaction score
Hello all, is plumbers lube the same as keg lube? They sell it at lowes for o rings and faucets. It says non toxic and has no petro products in it. My LHBS never has it in stock. Too lazy to just order it on line.

Most of the food grade lubes are gelled mineral oil. See what brand it is and look up the MSDS sheets for it online.

Are you talking about:

037155886937lg.jpg

Or:

037155803606lg.jpg

The first one is obviously silicone and the second is a polyglycol mixture. The second one should work just fine for kegs and it states "no chemical contamination to drinking water".

The first one is also acceptable. I looked up the CAS number, which has at least one MSDS sheet available; it comes out to be silicon dioxide. According to Wikipedia, it works as a flow agent, the amorphous state is called "glass", and is largely used as diatomaceous earth, a insecticide.

I've seen people saying you can use KY jelly too, it's obviously food safe. Maybe strange, but what the heck.

You can use KY Jelly (Propylene Glycol USP Grade), Vaseline, and USP Vegetable Glycerine. I buy the latter online by the gallon for around $44.00. A Gallon lasts me YEARS! Happy Brewing!

Back