Any Input on this Beef Brisket Recipe??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timboosh

Reaction score
Ok seasoned brisket makers. I decided to give making Brisket a go & came up with my own recipe after looking at a few on the internet. Thoughts??

4 Lb Beef brisket
1 TBSP Black pepper
1 TBSP Seasoned salt
1/2 tsp Chili powder
1 tsp Creole Seasoning
1/2 cup Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce
1/4 cup Gulden's brown mustard
2 Cans Beer (Miller High Life in this case, because I had it... I apologize, lol)

Trim excess Fat from outside of brisket. Rub with Black pepper, seasoned salt, chili powder & Creole seasoning.

Slice onion into thin slices and cover brisket in crock pot.

Add Barbecue Sauce and Brown Mustard & beer.

Slow Cook 6-8 hours.
So?? Anything I should add... cough, umm... right now?? It's kinda late to ask, I know, because I just put it all in the crock pot and it's just starting to warm up, and the seasoning smells pretty good...

I wouldn't eat it. I hate to burst your bubble but brisket is not meant to be put in a crock pot, is meant to be smoked low and slow with sweet blue. By totally removing the fat cap and cooking in a crock pot you are robbing the brisket of flavor. You want to taste the flavor of the meat so brisket is not meant to be eaten with BBQ sauce. Remember.......You asked.

main1.gif

I was wondering when someone would chime in with that. I almost did but just let it go.

I wouldn't eat it. I hate to burst your bubble but brisket is not meant to be put in a crock pot, is meant to be smoked low and slow with sweet blue. By totally removing the fat cap and cooking in a crock pot you are robbing the brisket of flavor. You want to taste the flavor of the meat so brisket is not meant to be eaten with BBQ sauce. Remember.......You asked.

No worries. I meant no offense to anybody, lol. (though, based on what you're saying, now a part of me feels like I unknowingly performed some sort of sacrelige, even though I'm pretty sure the cow doesn't care how it was cooked)... I just didn't realize that it was "supposed to be" cooked a particular way and that's why the fat remained. Makes perfect sense though how you've explained it.

Looks like I need to do more recipe research & figure out how to do some smoking with my POS old Weber.

FWIW, it actually tasted pretty good... And I only used the barbecue in the crock pot, not on the final product, I promise.

No worries. I meant no offense to anybody, lol. (though, based on what you're saying, now a part of me feels like I unknowingly performed some sort of sacrelige, even though I'm pretty sure the cow doesn't care how it was cooked)... I just didn't realize that it was "supposed to be" cooked a particular way and that's why the fat remained. Makes perfect sense though how you've explained it.

Looks like I need to do more recipe research & figure out how to do some smoking with my POS old Weber.

FWIW, it actually tasted pretty good... And I only used the barbecue in the crock pot, not on the final product, I promise.
No worries. You cook the way you wish. Some people and I am one of them feel that brisket should be smoked but ultimately it is your choice how you want to cook the food you eat.:)

Don't forget to put the fat on top.

Your recipe sounds great!

My brisket day goes as following

I use my own rub....
Dry Mustard
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
Salt
Brown Sugar
dried basil
Paprika
Dried Parsley
Black Pepper
My home grown dried peppers (jalapeno, habanero, thai dragons, Caribean Hots, Chilis, Cayennes)

Put in a coffee grinder and powder up.

If using acutal wood...Rub brisket in olive oil, then rub with seasonings.
If using charcoal and wood chips...rub brisket first in mustard, then seasonings. Gives the blackened skin.

Smoke for 12-14hrs.

FAT ON TOP!

I also take an oven safe pot o baked beans with dry mustard, onions, and brown sugar and put under the brisket after a couple hours. All those dripping go in the beans. OH MY. NOTHING better on EARTH!

Don't forget to put the fat on top.

Your recipe sounds great!

My brisket day goes as following

I use my own rub....
Dry Mustard
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
Salt
Brown Sugar
dried basil
Paprika
Dried Parsley
Black Pepper
My home grown dried peppers (jalapeno, habanero, thai dragons, Caribean Hots, Chilis, Cayennes)

Put in a coffee grinder and powder up.

If using acutal wood...Rub brisket in olive oil, then rub with seasonings.
If using charcoal and wood chips...rub brisket first in mustard, then seasonings. Gives the blackened skin.

Smoke for 12-14hrs.

FAT ON TOP!

I also take an oven safe pot o baked beans with dry mustard, onions, and brown sugar and put under the brisket after a couple hours. All those dripping go in the beans. OH MY. NOTHING better on EARTH!

If your heat source is under the brisket the fat cap should be down. The fat cap prevents the meat from being dried out by the heat.

Sawdustguy said:
If your heat source is under the brisket the fat cap should be down. The fat cap prevents the meat from being dried out by the heat.

Wouldn't the fat liquify and run through the meat! I'm new to smoking. Only used my smoker once.

Wouldn't the fat liquify and run through the meat! I'm new to smoking. Only used my smoker once.

One would logically think so, but it does not work like that. That is why when we marinate meat we do it at cold temperatures by putting marinating meats in the frig. Meat accepts fluid much more readily at cooler temperatures. We put the brisket's fat cap toward the flame. It does not accept much of the fat so we use the fat cap to insulate the brisket from direct exposure to the flame so the meat cooks more evenly and does not dry out on one side. When I first started I thought the same thing also.

Back