Hate to waste so much water chilling the wort!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yikes, that looks a little too complicated.

I use a pond pump in a 5 gallon bucket to feed my IC. I put oxyclean in my mashtun and another bucket, all the hot waste water from the IC goes into those vessels, conserves water and fuel from my hotwater tank. After the temp gets down to about 100F, I dump ice into the bucket with the pump and begin recirculating the IC water. This way I usually only "waste" a couple of gallons of water, most of the waste water is used as cleaning and soaking solution. The only tricky part is carrying water from inside the house in the winter to the garage because of not having a garden hose anymore. In the summer it's no problem, I just top off the pump bucket with the hose.

I've been reading a bunch that people are starting to let their wort ''air cool''. Somehow the fear of aerobic contamination still lingers with me on that one, but aparently it hasn't been an issue...

Back