Let's hear it for the Barley Crusher!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottland

Reaction score
So in my adventures with All-grain, my first few batches netted efficencies in the low-mid 60's with the crush from my LHBS. I worked on my technique, and got into the high 60s with the same crush. Frustrated that i couldn't get consistent results, I switched to grain from AHS, and was still only getting around 68-72% eff. Which isn't bad, but it still wasn't consistent, and I was still missing my target gravities.

So I broke down and bought a Barley Crusher. First batch = 85% eff into the kettle (batch sparging). I got a nice tight crush, and my sparge ran off very nicely. Needless to say I was VERY excited about the results. Now the best part, second batch with the BC = 85% eff into the kettle again.

Consistent results at last!!!! I would highly recommend on of these for anyone frustrated with consistent all-grain gravities. Here's to crushing your own grain! :mug:

Just a touch tighter .035. The factory setting on mine was .037. It shouldn't make much difference. I do sparge a lot as I typically do 75-90 min boils, but I did that with my old crush as well

I worked on my technique... and was still only getting around 68-72% eff. Which isn't bad, but it still wasn't consistent, and I was still missing my target gravities.

So I broke down and bought a Barley Crusher. First batch = 85% eff into the kettle (batch sparging). I got a nice tight crush, and my sparge ran off very nicely. Needless to say I was VERY excited about the results. Now the best part, second batch with the BC = 85% eff into the kettle again.

Yep. They make for a good crush.

Went on maiden voyage today with a BC on factory settings turning about 60 RPM. Brewed with 12# Halcyon malt and 1# Fawcett Crystal 20L (unconditioned) and got something like an 88% finishing with 11 gallons of 1.038 wort and a colour apparently under 5 SRM. It's looking like things will be about four or five points higher than when I crush with my Phil Mill. Where I am usually malt conditioning, I can't see why I shouldn't be hitting about 90% efficiency now.

So... it looks like a good investment.

I bought one about a year ago or so and never looked back. I might be one of the best brewing tool I own.

The cool thing is they are made local to my work!:rockin:

I modified and coupled mine to an old drill press and remounted the assembly to an aluminum plate. I crank mine at 650rpm, my 12 gallon grain bills are light work!

So in my adventures with All-grain, my first few batches netted efficencies in the low-mid 60's with the crush from my LHBS. I worked on my technique, and got into the high 60s with the same crush. Frustrated that i couldn't get consistent results, I switched to grain from AHS, and was still only getting around 68-72% eff. Which isn't bad, but it still wasn't consistent, and I was still missing my target gravities.

I can tell exactly the same story, just replace Barley Crusher with "knock off corona".

Home crush is always better and more efficient than store crush.

Back