Finally figured out what to do with that extra half gallon of wort!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksbrain

Reaction score
Put it in a growler!

I have one small carboy that I use for primary fermentation, and I'm always leaving wort in the kettle simply because it won't fit in the carboy. Tired of dumping perfectly good future beer, I decided to look for a solution today.

I happened to have a growler sitting around, and I just siphoned the rest of the wort into the growler. Pitched some of that yeast I was going to dump after my yeast harvest, and I've got a few found pints from a batch. Sure, it ferments at ambient basement temperature, but I'm all for quick and easy extra beer.

You could also pour it into 1L or 2L bottles/jars and use them for yeast starters as long as they don't sit around too long. If you could "can" them, it probably be even more stable.

I do similar sometimes but use a gallon glass jug from wine. I'll pitch some fruit or spices in to make a different take on the original recipe. For example, I put some cranberries on Cream of Three Crops this last batch. Think table sugars, candy sugar, sour cherry juice, citrus peels, etc. Fun, fun.

I have been known to use this wort in my cooking. Either as a marinade, or in a nice stew or chili.

Back