Cooler mash tun conversion Q.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This will definately work, but it would be nice to have a valve so you don't have to hold the tubing above the fluid leval?

I'm not mechanical at all (I had to buy my MLT premade) but I was also wondering about a valve. You open it slowly at first, then let it run faster, then close it. I definitely like have the valve to open and close, rather than pinching the tubing. Or am I missing something here?

It's looks rinky dink to me and you ruin a perfectly good cooler spigot. I think you'd be much happier to spend a few extra $ for a valve. I made my own from parts at home depot but you can by them ready made.

Willsellout said:
Well that looks nice. I'm just looking to start getting my AG stuff together and I figured I'd get a MT/LT together and then work on a wort chiller. trying to find the best way to do both.

Thanks

Dan

Dan,

I spent two hours at Lowes and came up with what needed for less than $50 including the wort chiller. (Excluding the $18 cooler from Sam's).

Take a look at the link below for illustrations. THe valve is the way to go. I had a slightly stuck sparge and I had to blow on the tube to loosen. NO big deal, but it would have been hard doing that with a narrow tube like that.

My setup is very simple. I used a bung that is from a mini keg, some tubing, a simple valve. It does not leak. If you are going batch sparge you should consider a rectangular cooler. They are perfect and you can get a lot of grain in a 48 quart. Check this page > http://www.hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/

Back