Are you a Beer snob or connaisseur???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowstick

Reaction score
My friends hate drinking with me because I can not stomach BMC or beer of the like. I have my favorites usually dark stouts theres one beer in particular that I seek out everywhere we go(Surly Bender). Ill drink Fat Tire, Newcastle, New Belgian 1554, Summit Oatmeal Stout. But my first choice is Surly Bender(they make a awesome Russian Imperial Stout called Darkness which is AMAZING).

Anyway what Im trying to say is So I like to drink good flavorful well crafted beers. Yes im disappointed when I cant get Surly but I have it on tap at home so it doesnt matter anymore.
I dont believe Im a beer snob Im just particular about the beer that I drink. So I think I am a conissure of beer. Oh yea did I mention I love Surly beers. LOL

I don't think I am a beer snob. I aspire to have all 26 BJCP styles in commercial brews on hand some day, and I like pretty much all of them so I will probably brew most of them at some point, too. On a hot day I'll chug down a can or two of Coors Light before moving onto homebrew; on a rainy day I am just as inclined to enjoy a good bottle of Old Foghorn barleywine. Every beer has its place for my palate.

I don't mind being called a beer snob, it's a title that I can live with. My SWMBO has mentioned on more than one occassion that my sniffing and swirling of beer is a little odd. I think beer snob and beer connisuer are interchangeable. Your BMC swilling pals should be supportive, it means more BMC for them.

IMHO a beer snob is someone who has the knowledge and uses that knowledge to make less knowledgeable beer drinking feel dumb or incompetent. Just because you appreciate good beer and know almost every beer on the market and stat current with the beer climate of your area and the world does not make you a beer snob.

Now, if you berate your friends for liking BMC, I would want to drink with you either. However, if you attempt to expand their horizons and suggest better beers that they may like, you are just a good friend who is passionate about beer. There is a BIG difference.

I consider myself a beer connoisseur, but not a beer snob. Part of being a beer connoisseur is realizing that there is always something to learn and you don't know everything. It is also important to remember that you probably liked BMC at one time and that you can help someone see the better side of beer, but just because they like it, doesn't make them idiots.

I do not consider myself "an expert judge" of beer, so I'm no connoisseur. I think being a real connoisseur is not something that happens casually; you have to work to build those skills over a period of time. I do know what I like and I'm much better now at describing why than I used to be, so that's progress, I guess.

I consider myself a beer connoisseur, but not a beer snob. Part of being a beer connoisseur is realizing that there is always something to learn and you don't know everything. It is also important to remember that you probably liked BMC at one time and that you can help someone see the better side of beer, but just because they like it, doesn't make them idiots.

Well said. I'm hesitant to label myself as a connoisseur- because I frankly don't yet have the experience and knowledge to really be able to speak intelligently about various beer styles. You can certainly be particular about the styles of beer that you prefer, but everyone's palate is different. I've never been really fond of any lager that has come across my taste buds (though my rugby team is sponsored by Steinlager- so I drink those for free at matches :)), but certainly don't berate those who enjoy them.

Call me a beer dork, beer geek, even a connaisseur if you want, but don't call me a beer snob. I don't like the way it sounds. I've been called a beer snob a few times and it definitely wasn't a compliment.

I don't have much of a problem with imbibing a "fine american pilsner" here or there if that's the only thing around. I'll always dig to the bottom of the cooler to make sure something else isn't available first, but absent of choice I'll do what has to be done. ;)

I don't consider myself a beer snob. Just because I enjoy other varieties outside of the traditional BMC beers, I still respect those beers. And there is nothing wrong with drinking that style. I consider myself a beer explorer, who wants to expand the variety of beer flavors and teach/introduce new flavors to those who do not know the real flavor other styles besides BMC's offer.

Funny story - I was on my way to visit a friend in Anchorage a few years back. He tells me that while I am there to not order a Bud because all of his friends are beer snobs and would make fun of me (my first reaction was, what the hell is a beer snob and why should I care).

The first time we all went out to the bars, I ordered a Bud. They didn't say anything but did proceed to buy me what they considered a good beer. I was happily introduced to a whole new world of tastes. Anyway, his friends throw a party and I'm anxious to see what else they are going to throw my way. The party starts, the keg is tapped...My taste buds are anticipating nirvana... I take a big drink of...MGD.

To answer your question - no, I'm neither. If I want to really enjoy a really good beer, I'll sip on a Home brew or micro. If I'm really thirsty or want to tie one on, I drink a commercial.

I know what I like and I drink it. Call me what you want, but don't call me late for the tavern.

By the way, for those of who who do drink a lot of different beers and have a broad palette. The best way to impress your BMC drinking friends is to show them how pansy their BMC is. (Not to be misinterpreted, this happened when a friend of mine said, 'you may be able to drink all kinds of beers, but how much can you drink') After this incident I said fine we will go out and drink some BMC and see how you do, this guy considers himself a heavy weight.

Long story short, I can drink BMC like it is water with not much effect, unless I am sick before hand, and even then I can throw those waters back (I call it Wisconsin water). We drank all night long maybe 20+ beers for me and I didn't feel a thing (Miller Lite). This guy had thrown up twice lol. Now he never makes fun of me for ordering a new lambic I haven't had and is actually interested most of the time to try new things. He used to think micro beers were for "girly men".

This won't work with everyone, but it does work with some.

(for the record I don't understand why people drink that garbage. I had a good rant on here after that experience, it was at a wedding. Yuck ML makes me sad :()

Call me a beer dork, beer geek...

I'll proudly wear those monickers anyday!

I know what I like and I drink it. Call me what you want, but don't call me late for the tavern.

I'll buy that!!!!

The only time I get snobby or irritated is if I ask what GOOD beer a place has on tap, and they run through the list begining with bmc...I've actually them to skip right to the last tap...The thing that gets me is if there is nothing BUT BMC products, for example "We have Bud, Bud light, Miller, Miller Light and Blue Moon." Especially if the only non lager derivative is BM...I don't like wheat beers, so I'm pretty much screwed.

On the other hand, I'll drink PBR or Labatt's Blue after hockey games at the neighborhood watering hole, but I'm expecting that so I know...It's when I go to a new place and am hoping for something decent to drink...

Is there a difference?

Yes, a connoisseur appreciates good beer. When faced with bad beer, they don't drink it.

A Beer Snob appreciates good beer. When faced with bad beer, they post rants about the restaurant and/or their idiot friends.:mad:

[Except for Supporters of Native Oregon Beers. We rule!]

I knew I'd crossed over when some friends helped me move a few years ago. After we were done, I pulled bears from the fridge and passed them around. A few minutes later I'd gone back to the kitchen for something and heard my buddies talking in the other room. When I came back one of them said "Dude... we're really sorry but... we can't drink your beer." I had to go and get them some Bud. And it was only Mirror Pond pale ale. I can just imagine if I'd pulled out some porters or something.

It's like food.
I'd rather have a steak that I raised, butchered, aged, dry rubbed and grilled at home, but I am not too good to have a burger at McDonalds either. Same with the beer. I surely have favorites...and they don't come from the taps in my local pubs...but I am not too good to split a pitcher of Coors Light over a pizza either.

Yes, a connoisseur appreciates good beer. When faced with bad beer, they don't drink it.

A Beer Snob appreciates good beer. When faced with bad beer, they post rants about the restaurant and/or their idiot friends.:mad:

[Except for Supporters of Native Oregon Beers. We rule!]

Based on David's expert analysis of this topic, I'd say that I'm somewhere in the middle.

I only berate my good friends when they drink swill, then I try to educate them on the more robust beers that are available. If someone I don't know is drinking swill I don't care much, but I do point at them and giggle. :D

I'm just beer drinker w/ snob-like tendencies. My snobbery tends to be about service aspects at a resturant or bar. I know most people have little knowledge about beer nor could they care less, therefore I see no need to look down on them.

My pet peeves leading to snobbery. (Complaining depends on my mood)
  • Getting an Iced bar glass when you politely ask for non-iced glass.
  • Ordering a Microbrewed Red Ale and recieve a Bock mixed with Miller Lite. (actually happened)
  • Ordering a pint and get a 12oz glass w/ 11 oz of beer.
  • Plastic Cups in fine drinking establishment.
  • Wrong serving vessel. (McDonald's glasses for beer??)

I like beer. I like craft beer. I like homebrew. I like mass-market beer. I've even been known to grab a can of malt liquor from the gas station.

While sometimes it's nice to contemplate the mystery of life over a huge imperial stout, sometimes it's also nice to kick back on the porch with a PBR. I am neither beer snob, nor beer connoisseur. I am a beer lover.

My pet peeves leaving to snobbery. (Complaining depends on my mood)
  • Getting an Iced bar glass when you politely ask for non-iced glass.

This one brings me near the exploding point on a regular basis. This one really steams my clams. Even if I am drinking swill, I still don't want a soaking wet beer slurpy! :mad: That one really chaps my ass.

I've been called a snob but I've never maligned a beer that was given to me. I'm the guy drinking the weird stuff at a party, but if I run out and someone offers me a light lager, I'll smile, thank them, and try to drink it. Usually by then it doens't taste half bad.

This one brings me near the exploding point on a regular basis. This one really steams my clams. Even if I am drinking swill, I still don't want a soaking wet beer slurpy! :mad: That one really chaps my ass.

You forgot "Boils my noodle". :D

I am a Beer Ninja Extraordinaire, does that count?

I'm a snob and I don't care. I don't drink High Life and I make fun of my friends who do because they know better. When I drink beer out of the house, I typically only do so at world-class beer bars. I'm lucky to live in San Diego where there are two within 5 miles of my house and one is a 7 minute walk. They serve good beer in proper glassware and I get to enjoy it with a lot of people who are like-minded.

Some people will come in and ask for the lightest thing on tap, and I'll openly suggest they taste something else. I am nice to strangers most of the time. This one guy was hitting on my friend (who knows a lot about beer too) and he was totally getting it all wrong, so I tore him down a bit and we all got a good laugh out of it. Typically though, I want more people to drink better beer, so I offer a lot of help for the uninitiated.

My biggest problem is POLITELY declining ****ty beer. I try hard not to make a face, but it is difficult for me still.

The thing is, I know what I like, I know how to pick beer for people with different tastes than my own, I know what a quality beer should be even in styles that I don't like. I understand differences in taste, but I also know that I don't really want to drink gross beer. At all.

Nope, I drink what I like. I love homebrews, microbrews, and imports as well as BMC. In my bar right now I have 2 kegs of homebrew in one fridge and another filled with Bud. I still really like Bud and drink it all the time, especially when camping or otherwise in a rough environment.

I still hate when people drink imports/micros just because they are imports/micros. It doesn't make them any cooler, just poorer.

Mike

I saw a quote somewhere that I like:

"All beer is good, some is just better than others"

I will never buy a BMC product for the house, but if with people, at parties, on hot days when I need a tall glass of water... I like beer, I just like some better than others.

I still hate when people drink imports/micros just because they are imports/micros. It doesn't make them any cooler, just poorer.

Mike

I don't drink good beer to be cool. I drink it because I love it. Lots of people do a lot of things to try and impress others and I am sure drinking fancy/rare beer is one of them (see all the *****es on beeradvocate with their 1000s of reviews, looking for some sort of e-status.) I find that as silly as buying a 600 dollar purse or a really lifted truck that you drive around the suburbs.

I don't see a need to bash BA. I think that site is invaluable for increasing beer knowledge in all aspects of the hobby. A lot of those people use it for their personal tasting notes. That way they are all in one place and accessible anywhere. I wish I used it but just don't have the commitment to note taking.

I don't see a need to bash BA. I think that site is invaluable for increasing beer knowledge in all aspects of the hobby. A lot of those people use it for their personal tasting notes. That way they are all in one place and accessible anywhere. I wish I used it but just don't have the commitment to note taking.

I just run into a lot of people at the bars I go to with notebooks and who are there because the rarest ber this side of the Colorado just showed up. I guess I just don't like geeks. The rating system serves a good purpose, I agree, but reading the reviews drives me batty.

And I am on their forum, so I'm sort of bashing myself.

A snob thrives on being a snob by being snobby for snobs sake, and their snobbery is usually driven by monikers and labels...not the contents in the glass.

Me...if Bud American Ale ends up tasting like a decent APA, I'll buy it.

...then again...I rarely pass up a PBR if it slides in front of me... :D

I hate it when someone calls me a "beer snob". It's a pejorative. Like others have noted, I will never pass up a beer; if I fetch up in a restaurant with a beer list consisting of BJCP Category 1 and nothing else, I will select from that list and enjoy myself.

It depends on my mood. Some weeks ago, my wife and I were driving through a small town where I knew an excellent brewpub resides, so I suggested we go there for lunch. Unfortunately, the brewpub was closed that day, so we opted for another nice-looking restaurant a block or so up the street. Their beer list had selections from the larger craft breweries, and also had a couple of 'house' beers - a porter and a 'light lager' type beer. My wife ordered the porter, so I - shock, dismay! - ordered the light beer. I figured it was made at the brewpub down the street, but I was wrong - it was from a larger brewery in PA that makes some flavorful - and contract 'craft' - brands.

You know something? My beer was gooooood. It was crisp, clean, faultless, and exactly what my meal - crab cakes - needed. The porter, also quite good, was excellent with my wife's burger.

Another anecdote: Recently I was presented with a situation in which I had the privilege of meeting brewers whom I had never met. Immediately upon discovering that I was an experienced brewer who knew what I was talking about, bottles materialized seemingly out of nowhere. Long story short, a couple of hours later I was completely in the bag. Fit-shaced. Loopded. Mead will do that to a fella. Anywho, about three-quarters of the way through this mayhem (damn you, Rob, whereever you are), a nice lady who had served me a delicious Scotch ale told me she wanted to start creating her own recipes, as she was a kit brewer. She wanted to expand her knowledge of ingredients. So I slurred my way through my standard pitch of "Brew small, like one-gallon, batches, use one malt, and vary the hops. Then drink 'em. Next, brew a bunch of small batches, use one malt, one hops variety, and vary the yeast. You can pretty much figure out what the grains will do by reading lots of good recipes and eating the grain, but you can only figure out the interplay by brewing." Her eyes lit up.

I guess the moral of the story is this: No matter what word you use to describe a beer lover - enthusiast, connoisseur, aficionado, lover - you're not a snob if you internalize your opinions. If asked for an honest assessment of a beer, an aficionado will give it. A snob gives his opinion unasked, and is moreover a d!ck about it. I could have told the lady brewer to go get Designing Great Beers and read it; instead I gave her practical advice on how to attack her problem.

That's the difference between a beer snob and someone I want to be. A beer snob is a d!ck, and I try not to be a d!ck.

Sorry for the ramble,

Bob

Back