Red oak beer clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrew2u

Reaction score
I'm trying to clone a red oak amber lager
This is what I came up with
10 lb Munich 10l
4 lb two row
1.5 oz Spaltz @60
1 oz Spaltz @20
1 oz Spaltz at 10
Yeast harvested from two bottles of red oak
Any help would be appreciated

image-2761279351.jpg

How did you get Red Oak up there? Have you sent the brewery an email asking about it? Bottle yeast are likely gonna be quite a bit less flocculant than what they start with. That beer has been in horizontal lagering tanks for some time before it goes to the bottling line. I feel sure they use a commercial available German lager yeast. If you could find out what it is you would be better off with a new culture and a starter.

Edit: right there on the website.

image-2667876210.jpg

A friend from work brought some back from a trip down south and gave me some I thought I'd try to clone it for him

I would drop the 2-row. Maybe use some Vienna if it needs to be lighter in color. 60 minute only of tettnang. Maybe do a Munich/Tettnang SMaSH first. It would not surprise me if that was it.

After a bit of research I found one recipe of 75% Munich, 20% Pilsner, and 5% caramunich. I don't remember the hop schedule.

Thanks for the info gonna try this in a couple of weeks I'll let you know how it turns out I'll post the recipe I use

I was thinking something along these lines
12 lb Munich
3 lb pilsner
1 lb caramunich
2 oz tettenag@ 60
Don't know about yeast yet need to see what the home brew shop has
What do you think about this recipe

abrew2u said:
I was thinking something along these lines
12 lb Munich
3 lb pilsner
1 lb caramunich
2 oz tettenag@ 60
Don't know about yeast yet need to see what the home brew shop has
What do you think about this recipe

For a 6 gallon batch it looks good. Gravity would likely be too high on a 5 gallon batch. Any German lager yeast is gonna get you close.

A little extra gravity isn't a bad thing I wouldn't mind it do you think the hop schedule would be ok?

Never brewed it rebuilding the brewery ill try it soon and post my progress

I lived in Raleigh the last several years and almost exclusively drank Red Oak. I moved back to Michigan 2 years ago and have been wanting to brew something as close as I could to it - searching these forums I found a post from what appeared to be the brewer suggesting the malt bill, hop selection, and yeast. I've brewed this multiple times now and have found it to be quite similar - always keep a keg on hand!

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.74 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 6.24 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 5.00 gal
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage

7 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 1 75.0 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 25.0 %
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 15.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Spalter [4.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 4 5.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Saaz [3.75 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 2.3 IBUs
2.0 pkg German Lager (White Labs #WLP830) [35.49 ml] Yeast 6 -

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Bitterness: 23.6 IBUs
Est Color: 13.9 SRM

I ferment for 2-weeks at 50*F, then lager 6 weeks at 33*F.

Let me know if you brew this and what you think!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Link to the thread with the 'Recipe' - guess my memory didn't serve me right, one of the forum users here reached out the the brewery and received the response. Its on the bottom of the first page of the thread.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/lookin-get-close-recipe-red-oak-9566/

Lager.jpg

Lager2.jpg

I lived in Raleigh the last several years and almost exclusively drank Red Oak. I moved back to Michigan 2 years ago and have been wanting to brew something as close as I could to it - searching these forums I found a post from what appeared to be the brewer suggesting the malt bill, hop selection, and yeast. I've brewed this multiple times now and have found it to be quite similar - always keep a keg on hand!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Link to the thread with the 'Recipe' - guess my memory didn't serve me right, one of the forum users here reached out the the brewery and received the response. Its on the bottom of the first page of the thread.

This is eerily close to what I've come up with..... I'm gonna brew it this weekend!

Did you do a d-rest?

I do a 5 day rest at room temp after fermentation is complete. I'll then drop the temp back down to fermentation temperatures to drop out the yeast (50*F). I'll let it sit for a few days then transfer to secondary for the lagering phase.

Did you do a single infusion mash, decoction, etc? I'm looking to brew this too, and was curious what you did. I just moved to St. Louis in Sept. after living in Greensboro for 7yrs, and I'm getting an itch for some Red Oak.

Did you do a single infusion mash, decoction, etc? I'm looking to brew this too, and was curious what you did. I just moved to St. Louis in Sept. after living in Greensboro for 7yrs, and I'm getting an itch for some Red Oak.

I just do a single infusion mash.

Anyone brew this yet? Curious if there's some feedback! I'm getting a case of Red Oak in a few days for comparison!

Anyone brew this yet? Curious if there's some feedback! I'm getting a case of Red Oak in a few days for comparison!

I brewed it back in January and it's on the tap now. While the flavor is that of an American Amber, I am not happy with my final product. Somehow my yeast crapped out with a 44.9 attenuation, missing my FG by .009.

I'll brew it again shortly and see how she comes out....... Anyone else brew it?

I just tapped mine last night. I won't have any Red Oak for comparison until I head to Greensboro in a month, but to my recollection, it isn't too far off. Either way, it turned out great for my first lager, so thanks for the recipe!

Would anybody be able to give a way to try to replicate this recipe using a partial mash brewing style? I have not made the leap to all grain brewing so I usually use the premade recipe kits. These typically call for a 30 minute mini-mash and then adding DME before boiling (60 minute boil). Not sure how this recipe would translate to a partial mash technique - i.e. What grains / how much for the mini mash and then what type / how much DME to add. Hops and yeast I would plan on keeping the same as stated above. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I'm trying to clone a red oak amber lager
This is what I came up with
10 lb Munich 10l
4 lb two row
1.5 oz Spaltz @60
1 oz Spaltz @20
1 oz Spaltz at 10
Yeast harvested from two bottles of red oak
Any help would be appreciated

View attachment 84385
Do they even still have yeast in their bottles? I think it’s filtered now. This is my favorite “clean” beer

Back