beer tastes metallic after being kegged

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olatheks

Reaction score
I have 3 ball lock kegs that had Pepsi in them. I have replaced all rubber gaskets. I haven't replaced the poppers, dip tube or posts. I have tried cleaning with oxy clean, vinegar and water, pbw, soaked in baking soda and water and ran beer line cleaner thru the dip tube. I sanitized everything with star san.

Now to the problem my last 5 batches have tasted great before kegging. All 5 have had a metallic taste after being carbed. All of my bottled beer doesn't have that taste so I know its something to do with my kegs.

I'm leaning towards a bad tank of c02?

Any ideas?

cuda6pak said:
This may be dumb, but how exactly do you clean SS "without passivating the surface"?

Don't shoot the messenger, I didn't write the article.....actually I would ask the same question!

All I can think of are:

1) Oxydation/splashing when kegging the beer. Solution: Pre-flush the keg with CO2 before filling.

2) A CO2 tank with rusty innards. Solution: If you're using a metal tank, swap it over for an Aluminum one.

3) Chemicals added at kegging time. Solution: If you're not rinsing the kegs, start rinsing them and let them drip/dry upside down for a bit before filling.

4) Rusty poppet springs. Solution: Replace them.

MC

I had a few beers that did this to me also. I replaced a bunch of equipment without change. It ended up being the water! I tried RO and added salts and no more metallic flavor. There are other things that can cause that flavor besides your kegs. If you've cleaned all the parts, get a new CO2 bottle (exchange it). Then look elsewhere.

I believe I Solved my issues with 2 things... I started using RO water as well and added back the salts... But the main contributor was that my fermentation temps were getting too high (above 75)... I converted a deep freezer to a feminization chamber with a temp controller and now my beer is great! I have made over 100 gallons this year and I can confidently say the metallic taste is long gone!
Cheers!
Will

Back