Coca Cola CO2 Cylinder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinrmclean

Reaction score
I am in posession of a Coca Cola CO2 cylinder. Is it going to be a major pain in the a$$ to get this thing either filled or swapped out? I got all my other kegging equip. ready and a bitter in the fermenter. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and Fair Winds,
Kevin

Tidewater Brewing

It really depends on where you take it. Some shops won't have any problems filling a tank they know is stolen, others wouldn't touch it with a pole.

Last time my welding shop swapped out a 20# tank, the tank they gave me is a Coke CO2 tank, so I would not worry about it.

Fire Extinguisher shop is way more reasonable for gas, and may even have beer gas. Weld shops will generally cost more and be less....lenient.

Some people get real emotional about branded containers.

Others; not so much.

I remember when I tried to get a coke tank refilled in college, they insisted on me showing paperwork with proof of ownership. I ended up buying a 5lb tank then, but I'm supposed to pick up the 20# tank after work today from a local fire extinguisher shop. So as Henry said, it varies from place to place. You really just need to call up a few places and ask.

Henry Hill said:
Fire Extinguisher shop is way more reasonable for gas, and may even have beer gas. Weld shops will generally cost more and be less....lenient.

Some people get real emotional about branded containers.

Others; not so much.

My experience has been just the opposite.

The Gas shop exchanges my 10 lb. tank for $12 the fire ext. shop charges $18 for a 5 lb. tank refill.

Others seem to share my experience too.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=55355

I think it just depends on where you're at. So far I've found a welding gas place and the fire extinguisher place to be about the same. $27 + tax.

Got it swapped for 20.00. It was also overdue for inspection:D . Took it to Praxair. No problems. He didn't even look at the tank. Of course I did get there about 15 minutes before closing time!!

Cheers and Fair Winds,
Kevin

Tidewater Brewing

Back