Caramel Malt for Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bduane

Reaction score
I'm preparing to buy ingredients to brew the oatmeal stout recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. The recipe calls for 0.5lb of Crystal 80L, and I already have both Caramel 40L and Caramel 120L at home. If i mix these together, they average out to 80L. I'm sure there will be some different characteristics, but from what I read the high L caramel malts are suited for porters/stouts anyways, what do you think?

I'm preparing to buy ingredients to brew the oatmeal stout recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. The recipe calls for 0.5lb of Crystal 80L, and I already have both Caramel 40L and Caramel 120L at home. If i mix these together, they average out to 80L. I'm sure there will be some different characteristics, but from what I read the high L caramel malts are suited for porters/stouts anyways, what do you think?

The color would be the same, but not the flavor. Caramel 120L is more raisiny than crystal 80L, while caramel 40L is more caramelly sweet. Crystal 80L has some hints of toffee, but still not "burnt" like crystal 120.

If you don't want to buy more caramel malt, then you could sub it. The flavor won't be the same, but it wouldn't be bad. I'd probably sub it with the crystal 40L and not the 120L due to the heavy raisin/burnt sugar flavor it has.

Thanks! I think I'll hang on to it until I need it for another recipe.

I've got another substitution question, not sure if I should start another thread or not, i'll start here:

I've called around to 2 local HBS's that don't have the Black Roasted Barley (500L), the recipe calls for 0.5lb.

I have 0.25 lb of Briess Roasted Barley (300L), and 0.5 lb of debittered black malt. I can also pick up other common dark malts at my LHBS (Black Patent, etc)

What would be a good substitute? I want to make sure I am not adding additional astringency or a stronger roasted flavor.

Thanks! I think I'll hang on to it until I need it for another recipe.

I've got another substitution question, not sure if I should start another thread or not, i'll start here:

I've called around to 2 local HBS's that don't have the Black Roasted Barley (500L), the recipe calls for 0.5lb.

I have 0.25 lb of Briess Roasted Barley (300L), and 0.5 lb of debittered black malt. I can also pick up other common dark malts at my LHBS (Black Patent, etc)

What would be a good substitute? I want to make sure I am not adding additional astringency or a stronger roasted flavor.

Black roasted barley? I never heard of that exactly. Black barley and roasted barley aren't malted, while black malt is malted. Usually it's "roasted barley" or "black barley" or "black malt" .

I'm not sure what your recipe is looking for.

"Black Barley" from my understanding is just darker roasted barley. They refer to this as "Black Roasted Barley" in brewing classic styles. It is listed on Briess's website under "Roasted Barley", but you are right, they just call it "Black Barley" - http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Products/Roasted_Barley.htm

So, I found my LHBS does have Roasted Barley (300L I'm assuming), but not "Black Barley". I went ahead and bought the same quantity of "Roasted Barley" as i would have "Black Roasted Barley", and i plugged the numbers into Beersmith. This took my color from 35.6 SRM to 31.5 SRM, which is still within range for the style.

I think I will just stick use the 300L roasted barley without adding anything additional.

Latest posts

Back