Making a cider yeast stater with DME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mezman

Reaction score
This may be a foolish question, but will cider yeast groove on DME? I made a starter for a cider I plan to make this weekend and without thinking about it I just kind went into autopilot and did my standard stater procedure with DME and didn't even think about whether or not I should have done a juice starter instead.

So, will a DME starter still be effective for cider yeast or am I best off getting another vial and starting over again?

It should still work, does it appear to be fermenting? All yeast eat sugar.

I'd be sure to decant off all the liquid though unless you want graff.

This may be a foolish question, but will cider yeast groove on DME? I made a starter for a cider I plan to make this weekend and without thinking about it I just kind went into autopilot and did my standard stater procedure with DME and didn't even think about whether or not I should have done a juice starter instead.

So, will a DME starter still be effective for cider yeast or am I best off getting another vial and starting over again?

Personally i would make a Mini Version of what you plan on fermenting to condition the yeast to it, so if you doing apple cider and sugar make your starter must out of cider and sugar. This will get the yeast in the mood so to speak to use those sugars.

Those are both great suggestions for next time!

I wouldn't worry about it too much this time around though, I betcha those yeasties will take off like crazy & eat all those simple sugars right up.

Curious how it turned out. I went in to the same auto-pilot mode and made a DME yeast starter for a cider. Figured after I decant off the wort, I'll have grown more yeast and it won't matter what type of sugars I used to get it. Started to second-guess myself and stumbled upon this post. Hope it turned out well...

Back