response time of thermapen vs this bad boy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
So i get very stressed about taking temps so i have been trying to find a cheap replacement of a thermapen that has the same accuracy. I found this thermometer which looks identical to the old thermapen and can get it for $40shipped. It has 0.1C better accuracy than the new thermapen with the same temp range and is less than half the price. My only concern is the company has no data on how fast it can read the temp. I called thermoworks and the closest probe that have is 0.12" with a 10 sec response time. The probe on this thermometer is 0.14" which makes me think it should be around 10-12 sec response time. Does anyone have good knowledge of this thermometer? Also do think a 3X faster read time is worth the extra $60? I have been told i can trick the thermometer to read faster by placing it in warm water (mash water before added to get it close to strike temp but kinda sounds like a PITA for a $40 thermometer

4272 thermometer

I found a site that claims it will read in about 15 sec. SO the question is it worth trying it out and spending an extra 10 sec or just spend the extra and go with whats proven to work?

Have you emailed the company, I'm sure they can provide you that data if they value potential customers.

FWIW, I am a big believer in you get what you pay for, I love my thermapen!

I think the secret to the thermapen's response is partly the diameter of the probe, but mainly the use of a more expensive thermocouple type sensor rather than a cheaper (and bulkier) thermistor sensor.

I can get the ultra for $40 which is the +/- 0.3C. Looking at thermoworks website the smaller the diameter the faster the response which it think is due to the fact that a small probe takes less time to heat up to the source temp. I called the company 2 times and on the second the lady explained they have no idea the response time and will not test it (kind of pissed me off). A question about the thermapen I have is how much of the probe to you have to insert to get an accurate reading in the 3-4 sec claimed?

Back