English Bitter/ESB Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBM30075

Reaction score
I brewed what was supposed to be a slightly less hoppy ESB on Jan. 31.
Ingredients:
1 lb. Maris Otter Pale Malt – Munton’s
½ lb. Crystal Grain – 40L - Briess
¼ lb. Carapils (Dextrine) Grain - Briess
2 x 1lb. bag Munton’s Amber DME
1 x 3lb. bag Munton’s Light DME
2 oz. Kent Golding (5%) Hop pellets
White Labs WPL002 English Ale Yeast

OG: 1.051 @ 80 degrees (1.0535 corrected)

I racked to secondary last Friday, Feb. 7. After reading this website, I was going to leave it alone in primary and bottle straight from there, but had a friend over and he wanted to do some "brewing" :). In the clearing carboy, the beer looks very clear and there is a lot of sediment at the bottom.

My question is this:
If I test FG and it's where it needs to be (right around 1.013-1.014, right?), could I go ahead and bottle this one?

This is only my 4th batch, so I'm a little impatient. I know that longer = better, but could this one be OK after 12 to 14 days?

Don't some people here go with just primary and bottle after 10 days or so?

Am I really just rushing it?

Thanks for any help!

You certainly could bottle it now, but you said it...longer = better (generally).

I find more time in secondary helps the flavors melt a little better, but you can bottle straight from the primary.

It should be safe to bottle, but if you shorten the secondary don't be surprised when it takes longer in the bottles to taste right. Just about every beer I've made seems to take about 6 weeks total (3 fermenting and 3 in the bottle) to lose the "green" taste. So you're not really gaining anything by shortening the time in the secondary IMO.

It should be safe to bottle, but if you shorten the secondary don't be surprised when it takes longer in the bottles to taste right. Just about every beer I've made seems to take about 6 weeks total (3 fermenting and 3 in the bottle) to lose the "green" taste. So you're not really gaining anything by shortening the time in the secondary IMO.

Unortunately this is the conclusion I have come to as well. No matter how hard I try, I cannot seem to get a beer to drinkablility as fast as I would like...I've been pipelining batches (and some half batches - just did an ESB today), about 1 a week for the last couple of months, and I still have to drink store bought beer because I'm......STILL WAITING for my homebrewto ripen and fall off the tree already. It's hard.

That it is - I brewed beer every 10 days like clockwork for the first 7-8 batches just to build my pipeline. Even so I drink it enough that if I don't brew every couple of weeks I'm scared that my supply may start dwindling LOL.

Latest posts

Back