UPS lost my package, what do I tell them is inside?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Professor Frink

Reaction score
So UPS managed to lose one of my RIS shipments, so now they have to start a formal trace. They need to know the contents of the package (which I listed as collectibles), do I tell them that it's beer? Should I tell them something different?

Ugh. Man I dunno what to tell you. In all likelihood if you tell them the truth, they may or may not give you a hard time. I'd tell them it's bottled samples of live yeast :D

Yup, it is yours ollllo. If I tell them it's beer, they might tell me to pound sand. If I tell them it's something else, and it gets opened, it could be worse. Should I just forget it and ship another package? I wish I didn't say collectibles on the original shipping order.

I did say collectibles on the invoice. I'm just worried that if it gets opened up, they're gonna cry foul.

Remember, though, this ain't the USPS; shipping booze is illegal via the postal system, but not via UPS (it's just against company policy). That's why every homebrew competition in the world tells you to use UPS or FedEx, NEVER the USPS. So, if they DO open up the package and find a lovely example of a Russian Imperial Stout, you probably won't get your hands back on it but you aren't going to get arrested ;)

Remember, though, this ain't the USPS; shipping booze is illegal via the postal system, but not via UPS (it's just against company policy). That's why every homebrew competition in the world tells you to use UPS or FedEx, NEVER the USPS. So, if they DO open up the package and find a lovely example of a Russian Imperial Stout, you probably won't get your hands back on it but you aren't going to get arrested ;)

That's what I was thinking. I can't imagine I'd get blacklisted.

You got me blacklisted from Hop Sing's? (obscure?)

So I called them up, and told them there were glass collectibles in the box, and he says "can you be more specific?". I said, sorry, my girlfriend packed them, but how about just find the box and deliver it? So we'll see what happens.

Remember, though, this ain't the USPS; shipping booze is illegal via the postal system, but not via UPS (it's just against company policy).

I don't even think it's against their policy. I always tell them up front that I am shipping homemade beer and have never had a problem.

I worked there for 5 years in college. UPS is only concerned because it is illegal to ship alcoholic beverages in most states without a license. It's pretty nasty to figure out what's legal and what's not and they don't want to be the referee of all that, so they just say no to everyone. By comparison, you can ship guns via UPS as long as shipper (or receiver) has a dealers license. Because that is easily verified, they allow it.

UPS/FedEx could rat you out, but unless you are serious repeat offender who has been warned numerous times it's just not worth the hassles. Your package was probably heard/felt sloshing, opened for inspection, identified as a beverage, and discarded.

BTW, as long as it's not a consumable alcoholic beverage (spoiled goods for testing, yeast cultures, etc) it's not illegal and UPS could care less.

I don't even think it's against their policy. I always tell them up front that I am shipping homemade beer and have never had a problem.

Who Can Ship Wine
Who can ship wine via UPS services?UPS only accepts packages containing wine from shippers who are licensed under applicable law and who have signed and entered into a contract with UPS for the transportation of wine.

Note: UPS provides service for other alcoholic beverages (beer and alcohol) on a contract basis only. For shipments containing beer or alcohol, shippers must enter into an approved UPS agreement for the transportation of beer or alcohol as applicable, must be licensed and authorized under applicable law to ship beer and alcohol, and may ship only to licensed consignees. UPS does not accept shipments of beer or alcohol for delivery to consumers. UPS accepts shipments of beer or alcohol only among and between selected states.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/prepare/guidelines/wine.html

I remember it specifically being listed as against policy on a big sign at the UPS dropoff place, as well.

I'm just recalling one of my wife's shipping experiences...

Dude:
Operation Alderwood is underway.

On a funny note, my wife cracked under the hot lamps at Fed Ex and declared the contents to be Cider. :rolleyes:

She didn't want them to think it was beer....

In some respects that's genius. It makes the shipper deem that it's not alcohol once it's accepted.

Being that cider can mean lots of things to lots of different people.

When I mailed off some HB to a friend, I put down that they were jars of jelly lol.

I'll have to use yeast samples next time.

On one of my beer swaps I declared they were 'picture frames'. They were in an odd box, and the lady offered to undo it and rewrap them for free. I politely declined :D

Homemade BBQ sauce that you're mailing to friends.

You just bottle it in beer bottles because you don't have a canner.

Just tell them
I shipped Yeast mixed with sugar and water. It wasnt alcohol when it left my hands. If it turned to alcohol during shipping well thats your problem.

:)

You really can't get in trouble for this. If push comes to shove and anything is made of it you can deny deny deny. If they find the package unopened there not going to open it, they will just deliver it. If the label got torn off or something and they need to open it they will not have a sealed box from you they will have a box that is open and could have been stuffed full of any illegal contents by any employee at all with an incomplete chain of custody.

Your package is history. It most likely had a leak and was pitched.

Declaring "Yeast Samples in Medium" works for me every time and is the truth.

Back