Got my rhizomes from Fresh Hops...pic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iechyd Da

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Went with the jumbo Cascade rhizomes because I kill everything I try to grow. I thought I could use all the help I could get. Also, I just have room for a couple plants, if I was ordering 10 rhizomes like some people I wouldn't spend the extra cash. Ordered on Monday and they came this morning.:rockin:
2331766228_57053a5e8b.jpg

Iechyd Da said:
Went with the jumbo Cascade rhizomes because I kill everything I try to grow. I thought I could use all the help I could get. Also, I just have room for a couple plants, if I was ordering 10 rhizomes like some people I wouldn't spend the extra cash. Ordered on Monday and they came this morning.:rockin:
Nice
You have any chance of getting them in the ground soon? We are still buried under about a foot of snow. That last storm hit us with close to 20". I know I would be able to see any sprouts even if they were starting.
At this point we are probably into April before I can dig into the ground without it being ice or soup.
Craig

CBBaron said:
Nice
You have any chance of getting them in the ground soon? We are still buried under about a foot of snow. That last storm hit us with close to 20". I know I would be able to see any sprouts even if they were starting.
At this point we are probably into April before I can dig into the ground without it being ice or soup.
Craig
We don't have any snow, missed the last storm, and the temps have been in th 50's last couple days but we probably have at least another month before it's consistently above freezing. I'm thinking I'll start them inside in pots.

BTW, anyone know which way to plant these things?

Iechyd Da said:
We don't have any snow, missed the last storm, and the temps have been in th 50's last couple days but we probably have at least another month before it's consistently above freezing. I'm thinking I'll start them inside in pots.

BTW, anyone know which way to plant these things?

Plant them just as you have them in the photo.

how long do they stay before you HAVE to put them in the ground?

from where i am i wont be able to plant them for another 2.5 months, would it be ok for me to order the rhizomes now?

Order them now and put them in 1 gallon pots in the sunniest window you have. If you wait, there probably won't be any available. Some places are reporting 6-7 times the orders over last year and once the plants get growing, it's too late to dig more.

Mine just arrived, but it's probably another month or more before I can plant them in the ground. Is it better to get them started in pots first, and then transplant or keep them in the fridge moistened until late April? (I live in northeastern Illinois.)

Also, if it is best to start them out now, what kind of soil mix would be best? I'm getting into Square Foot Gardening this year, and I wonder if it applies to hops as well. For SFG, it is recommended you use 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 vermiculite, and 1/3 compost for the soil mix.

Thanks -
Erik

-----------------------------------------
Grouse Pointe Brewing Company

Back