High gravity beer with Danstar Windsor Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
Ok so I tried to cut the caribou slobber recipe from NB in half so I could use my mr beer LBK, my other fermenters are full. I ended up with a high OG (1.076) and pitched the recommended yeast for the style of beer. After doing research on this yeast I am regretting using it. I can already smell the fruity estery flavors coming from my LBK. I have a feeling this beer will be too sweet and not drinkable to my liking because the FG will finish high. My question is, if the FG is too high and I don't like the flavor can I pitch some US-05 or 04 to finish it off? Will that mess up the flavors even more?

You used Windsor. Probably end up around 1.020 to 1.025. Way too sweet for me.

You can try pitching another yeast to bring it down some more, but it is a hostile environment for yeast once alcohol is in it. Unfortunately the flavors will already be set by the Windsor. Neither S-04 or S-05 will affect the flavors of the main yeast.

You used Windsor. Probably end up around 1.020 to 1.025. Way too sweet for me.

You can try pitching another yeast to bring it down some more, but it is a hostile environment for yeast once alcohol is in it. Unfortunately the flavors will already be set by the Windsor. Neither S-04 or S-05 will affect the flavors of the main yeast.

I was afraid of that. I didn't mean to have that high of gravity. I thought cutting the recipe in half would still end up in the anticipated gravity range.

What temp are you fermenting it at?

I've got a Windsor batch (AG 1.052 English Northern) going right now. After getting as much info as I could about Windsor, I decided to run it at 67* measured on the side of the bucket.

It does have a reputation for taking off quickly and being quite vigorous during the first few days. True dat. My bucket temp was 7 degrees higher than the air inside my freezer/ferm chamber when it was really rockin.

What temp are you fermenting it at?

I've got a Windsor batch (AG 1.052 English Northern) going right now. After getting as much info as I could about Windsor, I decided to run it at 67* measured on the side of the bucket.

It does have a reputation for taking off quickly and being quite vigorous during the first few days. True dat. My bucket temp was 7 degrees higher than the air inside my freezer/ferm chamber when it was really rockin.

Ambient is 66-68 degrees but I think the beer is well over 70 because its fermenting like crazy right now.

Bump...

If fermentation doesn't finish out and the gravity is too high can I add yeast nutrients?

Yeast nutrients won't help you. They are usually there to help the yeast build better cell walls at the start of fermentation . . . they'll have nothing to do with helping the yeast complete fermentation once primary has finished.

Yeast nutrients won't help you. They are usually there to help the yeast build better cell walls at the start of fermentation . . . they'll have nothing to do with helping the yeast complete fermentation once primary has finished.

What if primary fermentation is not completed yet?

Hi

I just brewed a stout and used Windsor yeast.

they say that fermentation 'can' finish after 3 days. It's been 9 days now and gravity is at 1.030

SG was 1.062

I thought it would have been done by now.

I pitched at 18C and raised temps gradually to 21C over a few days.

Has anybody seen similar numbers with this yeast?

Hi

they say that fermentation 'can' finish after 3 days. It's been 9 days now and gravity is at 1.030

SG was 1.062

You may be done. Windsor is a low attenuator ~65%, but if you have a lot of unfermentables in there, it can be less than that.

Hi

SG was 1.062

My batch fermented around 72 degrees. The OG was 1.071 and it has been steady now for a week at 1.024. I will bottle tomorrow night. Which means my beer was done fermenting in about 5 days. I like leaving my beer on the yeast cake for about 2-3 weeks just to ensure the yeast is finished fermenting and cleaning up.

I too just used Windsor in a porter kit. OG was 1.060. After 18 days its 1.030. Not at all what I was hoping for. I was close to giving up on it, but decided to pitch in a pack of notty. That was just tonight. Cross your fingers.

I'll keep you posted.

I too just used Windsor in a porter kit. OG was 1.060. After 18 days its 1.030. Not at all what I was hoping for. I was close to giving up on it, but decided to pitch in a pack of north. That was just tonight. Cross your fingers.

I'll keep you posted.

Mine is stuck at 1.024. Should I pitch another pack of yeast? I think the alcohol level would probably kill them off quick.

Mine is stuck at 1.024. Should I pitch another pack of yeast? I think the alcohol level would probably kill them off quick.

I dunno man... I'm a rookie. I was ready to give up and dump it but thought at worst this would be worth a shot. I did pitch two packs of Windsor already. One initially and then five days later. I thought I missed fermentation. Turns out it was just really weak.

Browse some of the recent threads I started. Lots of people had advice for our situation. May or may not help,but worth a shot.

Needless to say I won't be using Windsor again anytime soon.

Edit my post above was auto corrected from north...I repitched with notty.

Latest posts

Back