Garage Pasteurization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChasidicCalvinist

Reaction score
I went out into my garage tonight to get some meat out of the freezer and it was still super hot. Tomorrow it is supposed to be 101...though now I see 98. Anyway, I figure it will hit at least 110 in the garage...I could also put a space heater in there and up it. Anyway my question is, would it be possible to put some mead in the garage and just leave it in there all day to pasteurize it?

To pasteurize, I think the mead would have to at least get past 140°. Not only is that a monumental waste of energy (heating an entire garage for pasteurization), but it's probably not going to be good for other things you might have in the garage. Not to mention that exposing mead to such a high temp for such a long period probably won't be too good for it.

Either way, there's no way it's worth it. If you want to do something like it anyways, you'd probably be better off putting it in a car directly in the sun, with the windows up. You'll need a thermometer in there to make sure temps are sufficiently high. While you're at it, I strongly encourage you to take a picture of the thermometer and pm it (along with the date and location) to the HBT user by the name of marubozo - he's compiling important data on the matter. The same applies to anyone that wants to help him out by taking a picture of a car thermometer.

Either way, there's no way it's worth it. If you want to do something like it anyways, you'd probably be better off putting it in a car directly in the sun, with the windows up. You'll need a thermometer in there to make sure temps are sufficiently high. While you're at it, I strongly encourage you to take a picture of the thermometer and pm it (along with the date and location) to the HBT user by the name of marubozo - he's compiling important data on the matter. The same applies to anyone that wants to help him out by taking a picture of a car thermometer.

A time lapsed photo of it exploding on the car interior would be epic.

Back