Too much brew during brew; Lost yeast and forgot OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandenn

Reaction score
Long story short, had a few too many Hopslams combined with homebrews during brewing my last batch. This is only my third batch since I got into the hobby in December. It was a 5 gallon APA extract kit that I decided in the last 20 minutes it would be awesome to add some Citra hops every five minutes (mostly because they smell delicious).

I go to take my OG and it's still quite foamy after adding water and aerating so I think to myself "I'll get it before I throw the lid on". Needless to say, I was drinking delicious brew listening to music and forgot to take the OG. I went to add the yeast and cut too low on the packet, losing probably 15%. It was a standard dry nottingham's packet. Airlock activity began about 24 hours later, and now four days later is still active every 10 seconds or so.

Questions:
1. Is spilling that much yeast a big deal? I wasn't sure if it would tire out, but so far it still seems strong.

2. How should I handle OG/FG for dry hopping in secondary? Just wait 5~ days and transfer or should I wait until FG has stabilized?

I'm still pretty new to the hobby so I wasn't sure how to handle this sort of combination of events. Thanks for any advice.

I would leave it in the primary for 2 weeks then transfer to secondary and dry hop for an additional week. The extra time won't hurt anything. As far as the FG...2 weeks should be enough time to finish it up. Make sure your reading has stabilized before you transfer.

I would wait 2 weeks, add the hops right in the primary, wait another week, and then bottle or keg. You want the fermentation over before you add the hops or the aroma will be pushed right out the airlock.

Your fine - losing the yeast just means the yeast that you did manage to add to the beer will need longer lead-time. They've got to propogate to the proper population. You might have a slightly larger than normal trub cake (from dead-loss while growing) but you've not really hurt anything. As mentioned, make sure that you don't move to secondary for dry hopping until *your gravity readings* say it's done. Regardless of your starting gravity, you know where you should end- and that doesn't change. Lack of an OG only means you can't generate an estimated ABV which really isn't that big a deal-- besides, you came from an extract kit so it's easy to figure out within a couple points where you started.

Short version: read your gravities and dont go to secondary for dry hop until FG is around what you think it should have been. no harm.

Back