Neighbor wants to call fire marshall for brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
agreed. he knows he is not supposed topark there. he has gotten several tickets ovet the year, and has been towed away before by the city, none without me getting involved. let me repeat, he KNOWS he is not supposed to park there. i have asked his several times, very nicely not to block my garage. i ask him to move his vehicle and he hands me the keys, ofcourse i tell him to move it himself! screw him ive had enough. he is a big old baby, thats it!

oh and ive offered him beer before, he doesn't drink and when he does its coors light.

Didn't need that first paragraph. I read the second one first because I'm lazy and could already tell he's a ******...

Wow, he gives you the keys and asks you to move it? I'd go park it somewhere illegal and lock the keys in it.

Wow, he gives you the keys and asks you to move it? I'd go park it somewhere illegal and lock the keys in it.

LOL yup, did i not mention he is a *****.

let me tell you another story.

so i have a jeep and i took the doors off one day and didn't relocate the mirrors and I backed up into the hose bid and busted it. i called the landlord right away to let her know what i did.

a few months later the neighbor somehow backs into it and busted it also, trying to park infront of my garage, but he drove off and then parked on the street. what he didn't know is the landlord saw him do it, she happened to be down in the alley. so hes walking back and see her and says someone busted the hose bib and water is spraying everywhere! she says, ya i know i saw you do it! what a jerk trying to deny it.

since then she always tells me about that story and laughs and says we like you living here, but not him. the maintance guys that have fixed this both time, actually are the building owners i found out yesterday, and they know the story and want him out!

I disagree. The A-hole blocked his car in by parking in a fire lane. THAT took it to the next level. The OP has every right to access to and from his parking space. Anyone who parks in the fire lane next to an apartment complex not only deserves to have their car towed, but it should be insited upon.

OK, so the guy parked his car and blocked the OP and that started it.

Then escalation and more and more now it's beyond control.

I tried to build a heatstick and almost caught my kitchen on fire. So I bought a turkey fryer.

Sticks are not hard to build, I've made four so far. No propane, no fire, no problem.

If you "neighbor" is a hoarder, you can sic the Fire Marshall on HIM. The crap they collect is ALWAYS a fire hazard.

That might give your landlord the ammo she needs to evict him, "for public safety".

;)

Me, I would have already gone to war with that ass. ALL his illegally parked cars would have been towed, and towed again. His every movement in public would be recorded. The police, fire department, city and press would know ALL about him. But, that's just me.

Sticks are not hard to build, I've made four so far. No propane, no fire, no problem.

If you "neighbor" is a hoarder, you can sic the Fire Marshall on HIM. The crap they collect is ALWAYS a fire hazard.

That might give your landlord the ammo she needs to evict him, "for public safety".

;)

Me, I would have already gone to war with that ass. ALL his illegally parked cars would have been towed, and towed again. His every movement in public would be recorded. The police, fire department, city and press would know ALL about him. But, that's just me.

all i care about is that i can get into my garage when i want. i don't care if he illegally parks somewhere else, or whords his crap, because in the end it just causes more problems.

i was so close to towing his car, and i told the parking enforcement just ticket it. imagine if i towed it what he would have done, and it would just be more crap i don't need. i mind my own business.

He has every right to get in and out of his garage. People on this thread are way to diplomatic to the point of letting people walk all over them. Yes be nice. Yes ask nicely. Yes ask again nicely. After that screw him. Being nice only goes so far. Sometimes you need to be a dick to get results. Then again im a vindictive ******* that can play this *****ebags game all day long and not feel bad about it. Just sayin.

OK, so the guy parked his car and blocked the OP and that started it.

Then escalation and more and more now it's beyond control.

Well, I don't know if it's out of control yet or not...

Frankly, I would have just called to have the car towed and let him figure out why it was towed. Seems like the guy won't stop blocking the garage and parking in the fire lane until he can't afford to get his car out of impound. I'd let the city make a few bucks on him and call them each and every time it happens. Let him go broke with impound fees, and maybe the city can get a new park bench out of it.

You forget that he was ASKED NICELY not to block the garage and break the law to begin with. I wouldn't call that escalating. I'd call it attempting resolution.

He has every right to get in and out of his garage. People on this thread are way to diplomatic to the point of letting people walk all over them. Yes be nice. Yes ask nicely. Yes ask again nicely. After that screw him. Being nice only goes so far. Sometimes you need to be a dick to get results. Then again im a vindictive ******* that can play this *****ebags game all day long and not feel bad about it. Just sayin.

agreed.. In most towns the fire dept. will charge you for their time if you call to many times.

I'd double check your exact code in your town. Abide by it, (get all your stuff legal) while at the same time getting this guy heated. Get him to call the fire dept. and complain a few times. When the fire marshal comes out to assess the situation,(be legal) and show him your neighbor in violation. He should get a citation.

Outdoor cookers are perfectly legal, they way they are used is different. im sure your totally legal and this dude just has a bug up his ass.

arnoldk2 said:

If the guy is on to something and has you for a fire code violation, you dont want him to complain to the FD every time you brew. Yeah, its nice to be a tough guy and get the pricks car towed every day, but if he has a legitimate complaint that he can screw you on, then it pays to be in the guys good graces. That, or thank him for forcing you to change your whole system to electric

a letter from your landlord would CYA in case something does go down with the Fire Marshall and the landlord decides to throw you under the bus and say she never gave you permission.

If it is a violation of the fire code then either the building owner or the person operating the equipment gets the citation, depending on the law. A third party citizen cannot give you permission to violate the law. If it is a violation of the lease a letter may or may not protect you from an eviction.

Like I said before, be careful about taking advice offered here.

I would get ahold of her ASAP, tell her what's going on, and get a letter from her as your landlord granting you permission to brew on her property.
Get it notorized if possible.

If there's a hassle and least you can show that she as property owner and landlord lets you brew.

If possible have her mention in the letter that you have been brewing there, with her knowledge for as long as you have been.

This will end up in the landlord telling you to stop brewing in your garage. It is after all against fire code how could she allow it?

I'd say keep brewing, but try to talk to the guy. Unless you've got a real legal trump card, you can't really win, so like someone else said, offer the guy a brew or some bbq and try to get him on your side. Otherwise, find a friend with a basement to brew in. Bad neighbors can be hell - good luck and good brewing.

This will end up in the landlord telling you to stop brewing in your garage. It is after all against fire code how could she allow it?

i don't brew inside my garage, i brew outside just not 10' away. if have to be 10' away, i will. i talked to her, she didn't say i had to stop.

Do NOT take this as advice.

A good friend of mine had a very similar situation. Land lord was cool with him brewing (5gal) as long as he was not inside the garage, just in front of it and he kept a extinguisher next to him. the guy the lived above him was a PITA, making tons of noise late nights, and got pissed when my friend asked him to keep it down. It got worse, and some bad blood developed. One Saturday while brewing a fire inspector showed up, said the guy had called dozens of times , so he came to check it out. Talked to my friend about what he was doing, and how often. My friend gave him a basic run down, how it was Water, that he always had the extinguisher next to him, and always did it in front of the garage (right on the red fire line paint too). Even told him it was probaly the guy upstairs in retaliation of the complaints he had made. The inspector said he would "look into it" and would contact him if there was a "code violation". Never heard anything about it.

It was here in SoCal too. Not saying that will always happen, just that is what did happen.

You forget that he was ASKED NICELY not to block the garage and break the law to begin with. I wouldn't call that escalating. I'd call it attempting resolution.

Yes, he asked nicely initially.. And don't get me wrong, I'm for the OP but when he had the car ticketed it became a real quagmire. I would not call that an attempt at resolution.

If they can't talk and settle things it will just be one or the other calling the police or fire marshals until one moves out or things get really ugly.

To bad the op doesn't live next to me! Try having nearly a whole development of back stabbing posers around! I'd love to have a friend like that next door.

What is the op suppose to do? Ask and then ask again? Then after that ask again? And wait... after that ask some more? Keep calling and having his car ticketed. This DB doesn't respect you and that's obvious. I would change my set up to electric and brew with the garage closed. Respect those who respect you. Be kind to those who are kind to you. The rest can go eff themselfs.

Here's what you do, every chance get do this. When ever you see him start arguing with yourself. Do it when ever you go by his door, on your shared deck even when your brewing. Especially when your brewing, just argue about what ingredients to use. I guarantee you he will not mess with you. Sane people don't mess with the crazy ones.

Reading this thread makes me so glad that I live in my own house in an area free of homeowners associations and with minimal town regulation.

your so lucky. i grew up in a quiet town outside of Boston on a farm, then lived in the some nice cities that border Boston. I tell ya, living in the socal beach cities does have its advantages, i do miss the neighborhood type feeling. this place is so overcrowded i really want to pack up and move to the mountains, or a rural place like NH or VT. ive been here for 7 years and its been great, i at least have to stay another 2 years or so to finish some things, but i want out of LA but definable would miss the beach cities. I want a place with no neighbors so close.

Hey,
I am a fireman in SoCal and we get these type of complaints all the time. Essentially it is a neighbor dispute and we try not to get involved. I SERIOUSLY DOUBT any firefighter would try to hand you a citation. Heck in my department they took our citation books away because hardly anyone ever wrote a citation and if they did if was written wrong and thrown out of court. BTW I think there is an adapter so that could use 1 lb propane tanks with a turkey fryer. That way you could keep brewing and tell your neighbor to go F himself.

Do your brewing on a saturday, the ode guys and firemarshal are either not working, or have about a million other things to do. Let him call, give the fire marshal a beer.

Why no "RDWHAHB" advice yet? :confused:

Seriously, I've had bad landlords, bad neighbors, and bad days, but in the end, being positive is the key.

:tank:

PS: After re-reading myself, I didn't mean to sound as if "ignoring" your issue will fix it. Just put it in perspective. :)

Reading this thread makes me so glad that I live in my own house in an area free of homeowners associations and with minimal town regulation.

I was thinking the same type of thing. Five acres about 20 miles out of the city, there's nobody around to give a poop what I'm doing and when I'm doing it.

your so lucky. i grew up in a quiet town outside of Boston on a farm, then lived in the some nice cities that border Boston. I tell ya, living in the socal beach cities does have its advantages, i do miss the neighborhood type feeling. this place is so overcrowded i really want to pack up and move to the mountains, or a rural place like NH or VT. ive been here for 7 years and its been great, i at least have to stay another 2 years or so to finish some things, but i want out of LA but definable would miss the beach cities. I want a place with no neighbors so close.

:off:

I hear you. I grew up in a Pittsburgh neighborhood (neighbors, close), worked in NYC for ten years (loved the fast pace plus: wonderful, unbelievable eye-candy), but love it where I am now. 15-50 minutes to downtown Albany (state capital) but with space and relative quiet. I have neighbors, but with 8 acres on one side, 5 acres on the other and still close to the grocery store (1 mile, so walkable).

Then again, I wouldn't mind a couple/few months near a so-cal beach! :) (Well, given this thread...assuming I had a good supply of home-brew stored up! :ban: )

Last edited by a moderator:
Fire_Marshall_Bill_by_Kaotik1302.jpg

Seriously, relax, don't worry. Leave him a flaming bag of poop

RDWHAHBALAFBOP

Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew And Leave a Flaming Bag of Poop! :mug:

No, but in all seriousness, this guy's a dick, and judging from your description of his hoarding, car situation, etc, I think there's way more dirt you've got on him than he'll ever have on you.

And if he keeps it up, you may be able to talk to the landlord and she might be able to evict him if he pushes it.

Latest posts

Back