If you could only use 5 specialty malts what would they be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ndstorey

Reaction score
Well how about it? What do you feel would give you the largest brewing range?
Not included as specialty malts are 2 row, Pilsener, Marris Otter, Munich and maybe white wheat malt. Lets hear it!

crystal 80, cara red, carafa special III, roasted barley, chocolate malt

Crystal 60, chocolate, roasted or black patent, vienna, rye.

If you hadn't included munich and white wheat in your "base malts", I'd need those too.

Victory, roasted barley/chocolate malt, British Crystal II (65L), British Dark Crystal I (85L), and honey malt... I would add a couple more to the spread, just to round it out better, but not much... There are two more British Crystal malts to pick from (45L and 120L)...

Right now, I have (in stock): Victory malt, British Crystal I, II, British Dark Crystal I, II, Chocolate malt, Roasted Barley, Flaked Barley, Crystal Maris Otter, and Honey Malt... Those 10 specialty grains allow me to brew pretty much anything I want (at this time)... I also have a few sacks of 2 Row on hand. :D

this is a cool thread.. two grains I haven't used but have been planning to seem to show up regularly. Rye and Special B..

Crystal 40, Special B, Chocolate, Black Patent, and either Victory or Special Roast. Roasted barley isn't technically a malt, so I can still have that too. :D

Back